2007 Camry: power steering return hose leaking

Old 03-19-16, 08:12 AM
2007 Camry: power steering return hose leaking

The power steering return hose of my camry is leaking. Though it has been leaking for years (with no significant reduction in fluid level) , recently I noticed some squeaking when I turn the steering. I then noticed that the fluid level was a little low . Added ATF.

Taped the hose with a tape from Autozone and it looks good . No squeak, not loss of fluid.

How long does these tape typically last ? Do I really need to replace the hose? If I need to replace the hose, can you buy only the rubber hose or do I need to buy the metal component too ?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-16, 09:02 AM
Replace the hose, the fittings on the end come with it, needs a special machine to press them on.

Old 03-19-16, 12:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Does the manufacturer call for ATF in their power steering units? Curious. Replace the hose. It has no pressure on it, so it should be easy to do.

Old 03-19-16, 01:30 PM
Group Moderator
ATF is an old timer thing. My previous van had a slight leak in the steering box. I found ATF leaked slower than PSF and the generic brand at 88 a quart was a lot cheaper. Honestly though I would not put ATF in a newer car or anything but a clunker.

Old 03-19-16, 03:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Was there even a dedicated power steering fluid 40 yrs ago? ATF was what we used to always use in the power steering unit and I think what the owner's manual called for. That said, I haven't used ATF for power steering in probably 20 yrs. I've not seen 88 a quart for any type of fluid in a long time!

Old 03-19-16, 05:29 PM
Tape from Autozone? PS hoses on son's Toyota were simply clamped onto the pump. One clamp, the two prong type, started leaking and we replaced it with garden hose one. That's was it for 2.5 more years. he sold car yesterday with no leaks.

Old 03-20-16, 05:28 PM
Looks like I will need to buy the whole assembly -- the rubber hose + metal part . And then replacing the whole thing is kind of difficult without proper tools .

BTW, it is ATF .. checked manual as well as dealer (asked dealer for Power Steering fluid, and they gave ATF. When I asked they said for this vehicle we need to use ATF )

Old 03-20-16, 08:54 PM
Yeah, you need open end box wrench proper size to undo the pressure line nut. Problem with those is they spread open and slip over nut and strip it. I always ended using good visegrip locked on the nut. Or, monkey wrench. Don't even try spanner or crescent wrench.

Old 03-21-16, 04:39 AM
Group Moderator
Best to use what I call a "line wrench", properly a flare nut wrench:

https://www.google.com/search?q=flar...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Old 03-21-16, 10:15 AM
Yep, exactly ones I mentioned. I just called them different - open end box wrench. Kill me can't know every single name for every single tool they have there.
I had, and it's still in tool box, very good lifetime kit of those. What appeared to be thick, sturdy jaws. Slips. And when it slips, flare nut is bust. So I quit using them long ago and go for vise grips right away. My hand grip is strong enough to even use channel locks.

Old 03-21-16, 10:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A line wrench isn't the same as an open end wrench. It covers more of the nut and I've never had a properly sized one slip. I don't always use a line wrench on fuel/brake lines because it's harder to fit the wrench on the nut [have to start at the line and move over to the nut]

Search this Thread