Rubberized undercoating on wood

Old 03-20-16, 04:33 PM
T
Received 41 Votes on 39 Posts
Rubberized undercoating on wood

I'm nearly finished building a workbench in my basement. The workbench will serve dual purposes: winemaking as well as typical workshop stuff. I'm looking at something (other than stainless) for the workbench top to protect it from wine spillage and am considering a rubberized undercoating or similar spray.

There's plenty on the market, from brands like Plasti Dip, Rustoleum, 3M, and plenty of others. They seem to be a good fit for workbenches as they are corrosion resistant and provide good gripping.

I'd like to hear from those who have used this stuff plus thoughts on applying it to OSB.

Old 03-20-16, 05:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
I would think the OSB should be prepared (sanded, etc.) prior to trying to coat it, since OSB is generally rough. You may find that Advantech would have a smoother surface and is more waterproof than regular OSB sheathing. Look into automotive undercoating while you are sampling the lots. It comes in spray cans and would quite possibly give you the grip you need. I would caution about using it for a banging table, however, as it as well as the other products may chip or cut.

Old 03-20-16, 05:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 940 Votes on 858 Posts
I don't know how well it will stand up to the elements as far as peeling or durability. But I do know that on a few jobs, like outdoor bbq's, a company I sub for has had cabinets taken to have them rhino-linered. A stainless steel top was applied over them. So I know it can be done. But using osb as the substrate is probably a big mistake.

Old 03-21-16, 03:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
Look into automotive undercoating
Probably not a good option, unless undercoating has changed over the years it's a fairly soft coating.

Old 03-21-16, 03:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking mainly about the grip-ability of the surface. Carboys are heavy when filled and you don't want them walking on a smooth surface when vibrations are present. I think today's undercoating products are a little closer to the Rhino finishes than they were when we were teenagers last century.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: