Screeching noise from Toyota Sequioa

Old 03-20-16, 06:56 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Screeching noise from Toyota Sequioa

For the last week or so the truck (2003 Sequoia) is making a screeching noise when running. It seems to be coming from the power steering pulley. The noise appears when the engine is cold and seems to subside after about 10 min or so. I am not sure if this is indication of power pump being bad or something else but I have made a video so you guys can advise where its coming from and what needs to be done. As far as the power steering wheel is concerned there is no issue with its performance. No power steering fluid leaks.

You will notice the noise is loudest when the camera is near the power steering pump. Towards the end of the video the noise is almost gone.

https://youtu.be/AafB10qeGyk

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-16, 07:47 PM
A
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
probably just the belt might check to see if the belt is tight first but you may have to replace the belt.

Old 03-20-16, 08:50 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Water pump. Like for sure. They do this.

Old 03-20-16, 08:54 PM
Yeah. It's a good idea to change the timing belt and water pump at the same time on these Toyotas.

Old 03-22-16, 04:32 AM
E
Thank you. Are you guys positive its the water pump because the noise seem to be coming from near the power steering pulley. Is the water pump located near the power steering pulley? The noise goes away after a while when the engine is warm.

if you guys are almost sure its the water pump i was thinking to order the parts myself and have a mechanic do it. Its beyond my DIY level, lol. Any good websites for ordering Toyota parts or is this one of those things you should rely on buying from dealership?

Anything else that you could think of replacing along with the timing belt and water pump?

Last question, is it safe to drive another 10 miles or so on this bad water pump?

Thank you so much for all the help so far!

Old 03-22-16, 04:35 AM
Received 6 Votes on 5 Posts
Have a mechanic diagnose the problem then order the necessary part(s).

Don't get the cart before the horse.

Bob

Old 03-22-16, 07:25 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Drive belt slippage (and the resultant noise that comes with) upon cold start is pretty common on the earlier Toyotas, at least the Sequoia and Tundra. My 2004 Tundra did the same thing. The remedy was to replace it with a better belt. The one that was recommended to me by other Tundra owners was the Goodyear Gatorback belt. No more slippage and no more noise and it's been about six years. Drive belts are inexpensive enough that this would be an acceptable instance to "throw money at the problem" and hope it sticks (literally).

Old 03-22-16, 09:02 AM
The one that was recommended to me by other Tundra owners was the Goodyear Gatorback belt.
True. I also have a 2004 Tundra V8 and the Gatorback belt it very good. Haven't had a squeak from the belt in years. It's rare I prefer aftermarket parts over factory.

Old 03-22-16, 11:40 AM
aS i AM THE ONE WHO IS "ALMOST POSITIVE", AS i WATCHED THE VIDEO AND NOISE PRODUCED IN MY OPINION DOES NOT SOUND LIKE BELT, oops, sorry, forgot caps were on - I'd suggest to either have it scoped by a mech or pin point the noise source. Stethoscope or length or garden hose or simple stick will do. I am very well familair with belt squeal and what you have, OP, does not sound like it. It almost sounds like metal hitting metal, my first thought was - pump fins hitting housing.
See, thing is, pump noise normally is concurrent with coolant loss. A minor leak, drip, things of that nature. It then progressively gets worse. It may not be always noticed, as on inline V6 or V8 engines, drippage is blown down under by air flow. Like it was on my Silverado with exactly same noise - and water pump it was.

Old 03-22-16, 11:47 AM
E
Ukrbyk, I have a feeling you may be right. There is 112k miles on the truck and I don't think water pump has ever been replaced. I bought it when it was 75k and I am not even sure if the previous owner ever had the timing belt replaced.

Anyways, I will still replace the serpentine belt first as its fairly easy and way cheaper option.

Is this the belt you guys are referring to? Apparently Goodyear is now continental.

http://www.amazon.com/Continental-El...+belt+goodyear

Old 03-22-16, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
No one mentioned the idler pully? I'm assuming there is one. If you change the belt, change the idler as well.

Old 03-23-16, 06:02 AM
E
I was searching online and found an extremely easy way to tell if the noise is due to the serpentine belt. just spray a little WD 40 on the inside grooves of the belt while the car is running. The noise will stop instantly if its due to the belt.

You guessed it right, noise in my truck was due to the belt. I will replace with the gatorback belt as suggested here. Hopefully, this tip will help fellow DIY'rs.

Thank you so much all!

Old 03-23-16, 06:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 225 Votes on 200 Posts
Water will do the same thing. They sell [or used to] a spray that would quite noisy belts but most times it was just a temporary fix. Replacement is best! I've also had good results with the gator belts.

Old 03-24-16, 07:33 PM
Well, glad I was wrong and belt was it. Hope it is a final solution. Gator belt by Goodyear has my endorsement too.
As a word of caution, something made that belt chirp on cold. Just saying. Check tensioner marks, if it's not maxxed.