a/c compressor very strange issue, can anyone help with this?

Old 03-29-16, 05:57 PM
a/c compressor very strange issue, can anyone help with this?

So this is actually on my tractor. It has a auto a/c setup. The issue is the compressor will not engage clutch. Now here is what is not understanding. There is 1 wire coming out of the compressor and connected to the wire coming from thermostat and on/off. Taking the connector loose I get 12v coming in but no clutch engagement. I can take a wire from +terminal from battery to wire at connector going in to the compressor and clutch will engage. connect wires back together and not engaged.
So, getting 12v going to compressor but clutch won't engage. disconnect wire and wire from battery clutch engages?????
Anyone, any ideas???
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-16, 06:01 PM
Group Moderator
You need to measure for 12v with the compressor connected. If you don't have the 12v work your way backwards. The next step may be a low pressure switch and then to the thermostat.
Something in the path is not allowing the full compressor current to flow.

Your compressor clutch needs several amps of flow to get 12v. Your meter needs 0 amps to read full volts.

Old 03-29-16, 06:25 PM
so if I understand, you're saying with wires connected, compressor may be pulling the volt down from 12v ? It wouldn't do that when coming straight from battery?
Thanks Again

Old 03-29-16, 06:45 PM
Group Moderator
That is correct. Arced contacts on the thermostat or low pressure switch could cause the drop your are experiencing.