Wheel Refinishing

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-16, 09:17 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Wheel Refinishing

The Acura TL I just purchased has very nice alloy wheels on it.

Last edited by mossman; 04-11-16 at 09:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-16, 10:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
So, you're looking for somewhere to get them refinished?

Old 04-11-16, 01:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 23 Posts
Pics?

Old 04-12-16, 08:16 AM
I changed my mind about refinishing them. It would be cost prohibitive. They are in excellent shape, but I don't particularly like the smoked silver finish. I prefer my wheels to be on the brighter side (like most aluminum alloy wheels). Brake dust isn't as noticeable though. I'll keep them on for a while, but may switch to a different wheel in the future.

Here are a couple pics I found online. I have the wheels on the upper vehicle, but like the wheels on the lower one better. It's hard to tell, but the upper wheels are a shade darker than the paint color and the lower wheels are bright silver. Another reason I like the wheels on the lower vehicle is because they are an inch larger (19"), which I think looks more proportional to the car.

Name:  AcuraTL_18_19.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  48.4 KB

Old 04-12-16, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you change your mind and want to go the refinish route. Talk to the used car manager at your dealer, they for sure know a guy that does wheel refinishing. Typically he is mobile and comes to the dealer about once a week, they probably can schedule your car in on their used car refurbishing schedule.

Old 04-12-16, 10:10 AM
Group Moderator
Keep in mind, if it's anything like around here, the dealership marks these costs up about 200% before you see the bill - I had to have a wheel repaired on a car I bought used from the local Acura dealer. While they wouldn't warranty it, they agreed to give it to me for their cost so I paid $125 instead of $375.

Old 04-12-16, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I missed the original question . . . . did someone erase it ?

Old 04-12-16, 11:43 AM
Group Moderator
No, mossman changed his mind after posting - you're seeing what everyone else is.

Old 04-13-16, 08:18 AM
I missed the original question . . . . did someone erase it ?
Yes, I erased it. Sorry for the confusion. I wanted to delete the post altogether, but had to leave something to satisfy the minimum length requirement. The wheels on the TL I just purchased are what are referred to "dark hyper silver". I prefer the light hyper silver look, but I think I can live with what I have. The tires that came with the car are horrendous as far as road noise, so I am looking to replace them. If I'm going to do anything with the wheels, now is the time, which was why I posted to begin with. If I can sell the wheels I have relatively soon, then it's a no brainer--I'll be switching to the 19's. It's highly doubtful that I'll refinish the ones I currently have. They would need to be stripped down bare, then powder coated and clear coated, which I would think would outweigh the cost of buying a new ones.

Closed Thread