2013 kia optima trunk opening on it's own

Old 04-12-16, 06:01 AM
2013 kia optima trunk opening on it's own

I think there is an electrical short in the trunk latch. It pops open on my wife every so often--she can reclose it without having to 'unlock it first. So, I believe it's unlocking and not just slipping while still engaged. Stealership want $72 for part and $110 to put it in. Finally found a page from Optima repair manual(not a lot of info. out there), looks fairly easy.

Anyone ever have this issue with a mostly electrical trunk lock/latch??

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-16, 10:34 AM
Group Moderator
First of all it won't be a short as a short would blow a fuse.

It may not be an electrical problem if the lock is opening by itself. If the trunk can also be opened with a key..... disconnect the wire to the locking mechanism and see if it still opens by itself.

There have been many problems with people hitting the trunk pop button on the remote inadvertently.

Old 04-12-16, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator
I agree...it may be how she's holding the fob or when it's in her purse or pocket. It happens with my Suzuki once in a while as well. I go to put the keys in my pocket and hear "beep", gotta go shut the trunk.

Old 04-12-16, 10:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
While I've never inadvertently opened the trunk, I have set off the alarm with the key fob in my pocket My wife used to have a Nissan and I could hear the doors locking and unlocking as I walked across the yard [with the fob in my pocket] A quick easy test would be for her to not carry the fob in her purse [or maybe not at all]

Search this Thread