2007 Honda Accord- Oil Leak

Old 04-21-16, 10:22 PM
2007 Honda Accord- Oil Leak

Hi. I got oil changed a few months ago. At that time, the mechanic said that he had to put a last chance plug into my oil pan because someone had used a dodge oil pan pluc and this messed up the threads on the my oil pan. He didnt mention anything about an oil leak. I debated whether to bore a bigger hole into the pan and get a replacement plug. I read that doing this can sometimes lead to metal shavings in the pan and that could cause problems with the engine.

So I purchased a replacement pan and had a very local garage install it. i had some other car things to take care of, like replacing headlights, and that is when I noticed that there was an oil leak. Also, the dipstick was unable to be removed, like it was caught on something. the leak was extensive enough that i had to have the timing belt replaced because oil was all over it. I bring it back to the garage. So they remove the dipstick and replace it with a new one. And I think they re-seal and tighten up the bolts on the oil pan.

My friend cleans the oil stains and puts this uv flourescent dye in with the engine oil. He checks things out a couple of days later and he can see, based on the dye, that oil is leaking from the oil pan, on the passenger side, closer to the windshield as opposed to the headlights.

Honda Accords dont use gaskets for their oil pans. I learned about Honda Bond, a specific sealant for Hondas, and I purchase.

I need to bring the vehicle to the garage that installed the oil pan. i will tell them about the dye and that I need the pan installed properly. I will have them use the Honda Bond. Is there anything that I am missing here. Is there any reason the garage could not fix the leak the first time I brought the vehicle back? Of course they represented to me that it was fixed.

Is it usual for there to be problems after replacing an oil pan? is there anything I should tell the garage mechanic who is going to do the work?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-16, 11:40 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Before you do anything, did you try to tighten the bolts? Do you expect him to fix it under warranty? If not take it somewhere else.

Old 04-21-16, 11:58 PM
Hi. Yes, I do expect him to fix it under warranty. Oh course I have learned my lesson to not use him for anything else in the future. But I want this fixed. He recently put the pan in, the beginning of March 2015.

Old 04-22-16, 01:53 AM
Temporarily Suspended
There was no reason to replace the pan. There are expandable plugs that would have worked.

Old 04-22-16, 03:03 AM
Live and learn I guess and hindsight is always 20/20. But I was told by a mechanic that attempting to repair a plug is not always successful, and that you risk metal shavings getting into the pan and then the engine, when you bore the hole to repair. That is why I figured I would just get the pan replaced. This would not have been a problem if some jackass didn't use a dodge plug on my honda to begin with.

Old 04-22-16, 06:28 AM
Temporarily Suspended
There are plugs that use rubber to seal the bad threads. I haven't used one of them in 40 years but they worked.