Digital air guage with large display

Old 04-24-16, 05:48 PM
Digital air guage with large display

Can anyone suggest a digital air gauge with large read out display? I currently have one with an 1/8" screen and it's very hard to read. But it's accurate and easy to use. Just hard to read. I'm looking for one with at least a 1/4" display. I don't need any bells or whistles (no built in flash light, tools, nail clipper combo). But not a $20.00 unit either. Some where in $5 to $10 range.

I've seen this on e-Bay and although it's cheap it looks like the size I need.

Great LCD Digital Car Motorcycle Tire Tyre Air Pressure Gauge Tester Tool Hot | eBay

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-16, 06:31 PM
Found this on Amazon. More than what I want to pay.

http://www.amazon.com/Michelin-MN-42.../dp/B00BG4LE4U

Wife says stop wasting time and buy the darn thing. If you need it spend a few more bucks and get it!

Old 04-24-16, 07:20 PM
If you are having trouble reading the gauge, you might like the dial type with the flexible hose. The one I have retains the reading until you press a release valve. I can concentrate on taking the reading and then stick the dial in front of my mug so I can read the thing....

But I doubt it's cheaper than the one you linked to. The two cheapy digitals I tried were quite inaccurate, and the battery was always dead when I went to use it.

Old 04-25-16, 02:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have one similar to Paul's but without the hose and it was under $10 I'm not crazy about digital and while they might be a little more accurate - I don't want to worry with batteries.

Are you sure you don't want a gauge with a built in nail clipper

Old 04-25-16, 04:29 AM
Group Moderator
I'll be the third to say I have the analog dial type and like it.

Old 04-25-16, 04:34 AM
The analog gauge type are fine but tend to be bulky but sure I could go for that. The thing is this small one I have works great. Never had to change batteries (about 5 years now) and it's accurate. The more I use it the better I like it. Don't need super accuracy. Car tires and bicycles only. I was thinking someone here may have had experience with a large display type that would recommend.

Marksr, from what I've been reading I don't think digital is necessarily more accurate in fact I think the type you and Paul refer to is most accurate. Had those in the past and they always seem to get broken or the face gets so scratched it near impossible to read. Anyway I got my head set on a digital. Can't change that that kind of mind set.

Old 04-25-16, 04:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Had those in the past and they always seem to get broken or the face gets so scratched it near impossible to read.
They do wear out, I had to replace mine a few years ago ... the one that was no longer accurate was about 30 yrs old. The glass was still decent. I've always balked at accepting new technology - can't teach an old dog new tricks but I guess you ain't an old dog

Old 04-25-16, 09:24 AM
Get the analog one like Paul suggests. Unless you intend to keep it indoors the battery digital will disappoint you in the cold NY winter.
I like the accuracy of the cheap digitals but they are appallingly poorly made. One I bought from Radio Shack years ago apparently was intended to be a throw-away because to get at the dead battery I had to split the case, which meant first peeling back the glued-on rubber sleeve to expose the hidden screws. When I did it destroyed an adhesive seal internally so it wouldn't hold air anymore. NOT impressed.

Only problem with analog gauges is a unit OK for 120psi bike tires won't be very accurate on 30psi car tires. Digitals tend to be accurate across the full range.

Old 04-25-16, 03:08 PM
Either one sure beats the sliding metal strip.

Old 04-25-16, 03:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I never was all that fond of those pencil gauges. I had one given to me awhile back so I put it in my wife's car. The next time I looked it was broke, not sure how that happened.

Old 05-14-16, 07:41 PM
Tire gauges

Yeah, the liquid crystal gauges do not like cold weather. When.it was 8 degrees out, I have to bring it in to warm up. I got mine from Cornwell tools, it has a long tube, to check inside duals in trucks. Goes up to about 150 psi reading. It will.also tell you how much air is coming down the line. Very accurate, right in line with the better mechanical gauges. It was pricey, but it is a gauge and an inflator in one unit. Love the thing, until I let a guy borrow it and he broke it. It was $127, but I am sure one like it could be found cheaper. The tool trucks like Snap On and Cornwell have sky high prices. Check online at various sites for a better deal.

Search this Thread