Temporary Vehicle Support

Old 04-25-16, 01:24 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Temporary Vehicle Support

Seems like a no-brainer to me, but I figured it didn't hurt to ask...I'll be removing all four wheels off my 2011 Acura TL and dropping the wheels off at a shop on my way to work to have new tires put on. Why you may ask, because I don't want to sit there and wait, it's more convenient, and I don't have to worry about the mechanic torquing the crap out of my lug nuts. Question is, what is the best method to support all four corners of the vehicle? I have one set of jack stands, but I don't think I can jack the car up that high to get them underneath. I thought of jacking up the front with my floor jack, removing the wheels, placing 6x6 lumber with steel plates under the jack points (just behind mud flaps), lowering the car, then doing the same for the rear. Does this sound legit?

Last edited by mossman; 04-25-16 at 02:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-16, 02:12 PM
J
Received 64 Votes on 59 Posts
Really bad idea.
Buy a second set of stands or make two trips.

Old 04-25-16, 02:21 PM
M
Why exactly is it a bad idea? The car is so low to the ground that hoisting the front on top of 12" jacks stands then trying to raise the rear onto another set of 12" stands sounds like more of a risk to me.

By the way, I meant to say 6x6 lumber, not 4x4 lumber, and I'm suggesting laying the blocks on their sides, not on-end. I agree supporting on top of 4x4 or 6x6 lumber on-end would be an accident waiting to happen. That is not what I'm suggesting.

Old 04-25-16, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
You may need 2 6x6 blocks sitting horizontal on top of each other at each point. They support 8000 ton (and bigger) ships in drydock on blocks of wood, why not a 3000 lb car? It would absolutely have to be on level ground though. If it's concrete, you wouldn't even need any steel plates.

I may have misunderstood, but I would never try to remove wheels with the car only on a floor jack. Loosen the lugs, jack it up, put whatever support is needed to keep it high enough, then lower the jack and remove the wheels.

Old 04-25-16, 03:26 PM
M
It is a level concrete driveway. I suggested the metal plates for on top of the blocks so the pinch welds wouldn't bite into the wood.

Old 04-25-16, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
You mean the body seams at the bottom? Just cut some slots in the wood for them to slide down into. I'm not familiar with your car of course. Back when cars had frames, we did this kind of thing all the time.

Old 04-25-16, 04:16 PM
A
Received 67 Votes on 61 Posts
I agree with Joe, and would go for two trips. A level driveway is good, but you are still changing the radius at which the weight of the vehicle is transferred to the ground. Have I seen vehicles blocked at all 4 corners? Yes, of course, but I cringe every time. So you save in regard to your concern about someone over tightening your wheels, but which component have you dragged across the top of your blocks when you block both ends of the vehicle, and how much better or worse is that than a potentially out of torque lug nut? Personally, I would have them do all 4, take it easy going home, avoid hard braking, and retorque them in the driveway or garage. That's what I have done with my 'vette.

Old 04-25-16, 08:15 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Whatever those wooden logs are rails are connected to, my grandpa had 4 of them cut suitable length to set raised car on for winter stow. VERTICAL. Just enough to get wheel off the ground. He did this with single jack for several winters. Never had any issue.

Old 04-25-16, 08:32 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I have used solid concrete blocks as jack stands. They are a lot heavier then the usual concrete blocks making it real workout to move them but I never had one break. Do not use the more common type of concrete blocks that have voids. They can split on you.

Last edited by ray2047; 04-26-16 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-26-16, 05:29 AM
M
Think I'll just do two at a time. It's more convenient (and safe) that way. My concern with the lug nuts is them being zipped on with an impact and over tightened so much that they compromise the rotors. Those of you familiar with what I went through with my Tundra can fully understand my concerns.

Old 04-26-16, 05:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 48 Votes on 38 Posts
This is a garage you use all the time? Most reputable tire places use torque wrenches or torque adapters to avoid the problem. I wouldn't be using a garage that had tire guys putting tires on with a gun and going BAPBAPBAPBAPBAPBAPBAPBAPBAP.

Old 04-26-16, 07:30 AM
M
Most reputable tire places use torque wrenches or torque adapters to avoid the problem.
They are few and far between unfortunately. I don't trust any of them so I try to do all my own work unless it's way above and beyond my skill level or requires special tools that would make it cost prohibitive. I was shocked to see one of the shop managers himself at this particular garage zip the lug nuts on my truck in a circular pattern. Guess I should find another shop.

Old 04-26-16, 10:04 AM
M
I found a pair of Hein Werner jack stands on a website called ToolDiscounter.com. Has anyone bought anything from this site before? They are advertising the stands for only $45, which is half the cost of anywhere else I've found. Seems suspicious. I asked if that price was for the pair and they said yes.

Hein Werner HW93503 Stand - Lifting Equipment

Old 04-26-16, 11:03 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Here's best jack ever, especially for trucks.

Powerbuilt 3 Ton All-in-One Jack - For Life Out Here

I had one, forgot to take it out when I sold my Ridgeline. Does little for low cars, but for trucks and SUV is invaluable.

Old 07-22-16, 11:27 AM
M
So aside from the safety aspect, is there any harm using four jack stands to support a full mid-size sedan for 12 hours via the jack points located near the front and rear mud flaps?

Old 07-22-16, 02:23 PM
A
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
sure it could be supported by jack stands but using the specific spot that you jack the car up with may not be that great of an idea, would probably place the stands under a more rigid part of the suspension.
would probably just buy a torque stick take it to whatever shop your using and have them use the torque stick on there impact when they put the wheels back on then double check them with a torque wrench when you get home, doesn't take long to mount and balance 4 tires.
Steelman 50066 Torque Stick Extension 19mm 80 ft Lbs | eBay