ECU Trickery - 2011 Acura TL

Old 04-29-16, 06:36 AM
ECU Trickery - 2011 Acura TL

There's one thing about my NTM Acura TL that is bugging me that I wish the Acura engineers would have programmed in to the functionality. In addition to the regular drive mode, the car has a sport mode and a manual mode. The sport mode (gear selector in 'S' position) changes the shift points and allows the RPMs race higher. As far as I know, it tops out in 3rd gear (haven't pushed it any further). When in sport mode, it is essentially automatic, but you can tap the paddle shifters on the steering wheel to downshift or upshift through all of the gears, which puts the vehicle in manual mode. My issue is that there is no way to revert back to the automatic sport mode. Why is this an issue you may ask? Because often times 3rd gear is too low for certain cruising speeds, so I tap the paddle shifter up one to fourth, which puts the car in manual mode. Then if I come to a stop, the transmission is in 1st and I often forget it is. So the engine races and I frantically (yes, I'm being a bit dramatic) have to search for the '+' paddle shifter. As you can imagine, this can be a bit tricky if you're accelerating and turning at the same time because the paddle is sometimes 120 degrees from it's normal position. So basically you can enter manual mode using the shift paddles while the gear selector is in sport mode, but you can't revert back to the automatic sport mode from manual mode. The only way to achieve this is to move the gear selector from S to D then back to S (not ideal). The engineer in me is pondering a solution to this issue. One potential solution I've been exploring is tapping into the paddle shifter signals and the 'D' and 'S' signals from the gear selector and tricking the ECU into thinking the car has been placed back in drive momentarily then switched back to sport. I would do this by continuously monitoring the '-' and '+' paddles and when they are held for a second or two simultaneously, I would pulse the 'D' line momentarily then release it to revert back to sport. I've tapped and held the '-' and '+' paddles simultaneously and nothing happens, so I think this would be a viable option. I realize I could probably do so irreversible damage if I'm not careful, but I can't help but wonder if this is doable or not. Do you guys think I'm crazy for even considering it? I likely won't end up doing anything, but I enjoy thinking about these types of projects.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-16, 07:33 AM
I located the wiring diagram for the paddle shifters and gear selector. It's actually looking like it would be a very simple modification. For my inputs, I would need to tap into the brown wire for the '+' paddle shifter and the purple wire for the '-' shifter, then severe the YEL/GRN and the RED wires between the range switch and ECU to control the switching between drive (D) and sport (S). This is something I could easily accomplish with an Arduino board.

Name:  Acura_AT Diagram.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  38.1 KB