Is clutch fluid the manual transmission oil?

Old 05-09-16, 10:30 AM
Is clutch fluid the manual transmission oil?

2006 Toyota Camry 5 speed manual transmission. I had its brake fluid and transmission oil changed today. However, the shop manager wrote down brake fluid and clutch fluid changed on the invoiced charged for two jobs. He says for a manual transmission, clutch fluid is the transmission oil which I don't agree with. Is this an industry misnomer to call manual transmission oil as clutch fluid in the field in repair shops? Or did I get tricked?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-16, 11:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think that you have a clutch slave cylinder. If that were flushed, it would use brake fluid.
I would go to the shop and have the manager get the mechanic to explain what was actually done.
I have found some of these "order writers" to be just order writers - not well versed on mechanics.

Old 05-09-16, 12:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Brake fluid goes in clutch master cylinder. Check owners manual it will tell you. If they put trans oil in there they owe you a new master and slave cylinder. Seals are ruined.

Old 05-09-16, 04:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
While it is certainly two separate jobs brake master and clutch master/slave), they should not have used transmission fluid in the clutch master/slave unit, and as Don says, they are toast at this point if they did.

Old 05-09-16, 04:55 PM
Temporarily Suspended
To me, changing brake fluid is being tricked. I've never done it & never will.
Manuel transmissions with over drive take automatic transmission fluid.

Old 05-09-16, 08:41 PM
OP, like others pointed out, BRAKE fluid is same as clutch fluid.
Manual transmission oil - they do not have fluids - is very high viscosity one and will simply not work in clutch application. Too thick.

Old 05-10-16, 02:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would go to the shop and have the manager get the mechanic to explain what was actually done.
I have found some of these "order writers" to be just order writers - not well versed on mechanics.
I agree! the odds are if they put the wrong fluid in the slave cylinder you'd have noticed before you got home. For piece of mind you should go back to the shop and verify ..... might even learn whoever did the paper work something

Old 05-10-16, 03:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Brake fluid absorbs moisture and can boil in high temperature locations. ( going down a mountain, heavy traffic). When it boils you lose braking.

Old 05-10-16, 04:23 AM
Temporarily Suspended
In 45 years, I've never heard or seen that happen.

Old 05-10-16, 04:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I once had a vehicle have an exhaust failure that packed the engine bay full of heat which boiled the brake fluid and affected the brakes .... so it can happen.

Old 05-10-16, 06:10 AM
Temporarily Suspended
so it can happen.
Maybe it can happen but telling customers that they should change brake fluid like they would change motor oil is an outright lie.