06 Tahoe, no crank, no start… a little help please

Old 05-12-16, 04:14 PM
06 Tahoe, no crank, no start… a little help please

06 Tahoe LT, 5.3 gas, 4x4.

I was checking the fuses trying to track down a tail light problem. I pulled a fuse in the engine compartment fuse box and heard a click inside the truck. I continued to check fuses.

When i tried to start the truck the lights come on, radio, heater blower but no crank at all. Not a click or anything. Battery is good.

I thought it may be the security system (altho the security light does not stay on…) and did the reset thing where you try to crank, return to run, wait 10 minutes, off for 10 seconds and repeat that 2 more times. No joy.

What should i check next?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-16, 04:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A little elementary, but a necessary question. You said you pulled a fuse. Did you put it back? You said you continued to check fuses. What did that fuse you pulled control?

Old 05-12-16, 05:12 PM
Great question! Yes, the fuse i pulled was good so i replaced it. I have no idea what it controlled. I was going thru and checking all the fuses to try to eliminate a tail light problem. Obviously i wish i had made note of that fuse, but i figured a little click was OK and would reset itself or not be a problem.

The truck is new to me so wanted to inspect each fuse regardless.

Old 05-12-16, 05:15 PM
Group Moderator
On a GM with factory alarm... it will crank but not start. Alarm interrupts fuel supply.
Now would be a good time to buy a 12v test light. Get something with a sharp point so you can actually probe the fuses.

I would disconnect the positive terminal off the battery. Wait one minute, reconnect it and then try starting it.

Old 05-12-16, 05:19 PM
Good idea PJmax. I will see if my multi meter has sharp points.

I did remove both the positive and negative terminals from the battery for a couple of hours. I put my charger on the battery to freshen it up a bit. No change when i reinstalled the battery cables.

Old 05-12-16, 05:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
While stabbing in the dark, move the gear selector to "N" and try it.

Old 05-12-16, 06:35 PM
Yep, tried that… no go in Park or Neutral.

Another clue perhaps… i have a remote start on the rig. If i try to start it with the remote it acts exactly like i was trying it with the key - lights come on, nothing and then it tries again. I don't think that's the problem, but thought i'd add it to the mix.

I appreciate your brainstorming!

Old 05-12-16, 06:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I am assuming that since you were checking for tail light problems, you only pulled the little small fuses, not any of the bigger, square fuses?

Old 05-12-16, 09:36 PM
That's right just the small fuses. I visually inspected the larger fuses - they are clear on top - right?

Old 05-13-16, 03:07 PM
Is it throwing any codes?

Old 05-13-16, 04:16 PM
Probably tripped the security system. Might want to reset the passlock system.

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).
IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
6. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password.

Old 05-14-16, 01:43 PM
No codes.

I tried the pass lock reset, but it didn't change anything - see above. Also the security system locks fuel so the engine will crank but not start. Mine does not crank.