2013 Yukon XL 1500 5.3L

Old 05-21-16, 05:08 PM
2013 Yukon XL 1500 5.3L

OK...I'm stumped. The mileage on my wife's Yukon is getting up there so I decided it was time to do more than change the oil & rotate the tires. Looked at the maintenance schedule in the owners manual and no mention of replacing the fuel filter. Checked a couple of online auto parts sites and no fuel filter listed there either. Am i missing something? Does this thing have a fuel filter and if so where is it located?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-16, 08:07 PM
Trace fuel lines from tank. If it's not on subframe, it's in fuel pump.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gmc+...gQsAQIOA&dpr=1

Old 05-21-16, 08:24 PM
Thanks ukrbyk.

I googled those same pictures. It's not on the frame near the location on my earlier (2003) Suburban. I was hoping someone had actual knowledge of where it's located before i start crawling around under it. If it turns out to be in the tank that means it's not serviceable or at least not easily. Seems strange that they would not want the filter replaced frequently with all the computer controlled fuel injection stuff on vehicles today.

Jim

Old 05-22-16, 06:42 AM
Well, truly, your best bet is at any given Yukon forums, plenty of those around. All I know is I had Silverado and filter was on subframe. Tucked in, but there.
It appears it was there all the way through 2009 or so. Then it becomes enigma what makes me think it's in fule pump canister.
Look, you make cars. You sell them. You service them. Significant part of YOUR profit comes from services. WHY would you make it DIY easy and dooper reliable? To lose money? You simply are on the other side of the barricades and do not have their POV.
Also, I have real stupid one for you. Why even bother on 2013 model? Use quality gas and clean system with Seafom twice a year, as it's large tank, and there is not need to replace fuel filters or clean injectors, period, end of sentence.
I do not recall last time I did this but I run Seafom once a year through tankful. Just do that, maybe 2 cans consecutively, and be happy. Don't worry about it.

Old 05-24-16, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the reply ukrbyk. I broke down and called the dealership yesterday. The guy I spoke with said it does not have a separate fuel filter. The only filter is part of the fuel pump and only gets replaced when the pump does.

As to your other question, I don't see the harm in replacing a fuel filter when it's called for. It really doesn't cost much that much and in my mind it doesn't require a lot of effort. It been about 25 years but I have had them clog up and it's a pain in the butt to deal with on the side of the road.

Jim

Old 05-24-16, 08:44 PM
Sure. Hope it's not as tedious a job as it is for piuck up trucks when you have to drop entire tank. Then you suddenly think - maybe strange guy ukrbyk was actually right about seafom... Hmmmm....

Old 05-25-16, 09:11 AM
I agree replacing the fuel pump is a major PITA. What I said was I didn't see the harm in replacing a fuel filter when it's called for. My understanding is that the only time it's called for when the filter is in the tank is if the fuel pump fails.

However, with an external filter I would rather replace the filter and know it's good than hope sea foam or any other product would do it for me. Again, it's not that expensive or difficult.