Cigarette lighter intermittently cuts out

Old 05-24-16, 07:24 PM
Cigarette lighter intermittently cuts out

I have a 2001 Toyota Celica GT-S. The cigarette lighter that I only use to power various devices has started to intermittently not work. Judging by the power light on the plugs I put in it, I can jiggle it and the power light turns on and off. If I get it set in a good position to have the light on, it will go out when a bump in the road, or pulling on the cord re-positions it in the outlet to where it loses power again. The problem has been getting progressively worse to the point where it loses power a dozen times during my 20 minute work commute, and is the same regardless of the particular plug I put into it.

I'm guessing there is a loose power connection to the socket, but do not know how to remove it to check/tighten the connections. I've found several videos for other car lighters that disassemble differently. Can anyone guide me on how to get to the back of the socket to check the connections, or tell me if something else may be the problem? Thanks! ~Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-16, 07:44 PM
Group Moderator
Can you shoot and post a picture of the dash where the lighter well is located ?
Most have an outer shell that unscrews from the back.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 05-25-16, 05:26 AM
Group Moderator
First, have you tried a different power adapter? Maybe it's the adapter that has gotten flakey.

Old 05-25-16, 07:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I find the lighter sockets get dirty or rusty inside abd usually need to be replaced. Not hard to do but can be hard to get to it.

Old 05-25-16, 07:18 PM
Here is a pic, if I did it correctly. I have three different device plugs that do the same thing in the socket, so I know it is the socket and not the plugs. I have tried sanding both contact surfaces to remove any rust. There just seems to be poor electrical connection, and any motion of the plug in the socket disrupts the contact.
Name:  Celica cigarette lighter.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  31.9 KB

Old 05-25-16, 07:46 PM
Group Moderator
The red dash line is where the dash comes apart. There are little plastic tits that keep the panels aligned. The orange things are clips under the panel. I don't remember how many there are. As you remove the panel... some may crack. That's ok. You can move them around... they aren't all needed. Use a flat screwdriver or putty knife at the yellow line to lift the panel. A putty knife keeps the plastic from being marked. The little switch plate can also be snapped out and you can pull up from there.

Normally you'd remove the shifter knob but I think you can lift the panel up and separate it from the dash enough to get to the cigarette lighter well. There will be two wires on the well that get unplugged. Now you remove the well and grab a replacement from almost any auto parts store.

Name:  Celica cigarette lighter.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  33.2 KB

Old 05-25-16, 08:18 PM
Thank you for the excellent explanation, Pete! I'll give it a shot the first chance I get.