Ford escape: O2 sensors need replacement

Old 05-28-16, 06:25 AM
Ford escape: O2 sensors need replacement

Hi all - new to the forum and hoping you can help me help my daughter out! Her 2004 ford escape v6 check engine light is on and she failed emissions. I took it to the local pep boys and the man checked the code out for me. PO 136, "O2 sensor circuit malfunction" he said when he looked it up. So I assume I have a bad O2 sensor but there are four. I can just replace all four but that seems like a lot more time and money than I need to spend! I looked up the code in my Haynes manual and there were multiple similar codes that seemed to indicate individual sensors but hat did not come up on the pep boys reader. Should I just do all four? Is there a simple way to get more info? I did by a cheap reader on ebay for $29 but it did not work on the escape (tho seemed to work fine on my yukon) which is why I went to pep boys in the first place! Thanks john p

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-16, 06:35 AM
Old 05-28-16, 06:38 AM
Essentially the same as P0137, a P0136 code refers to the second oxygen sensor on Bank 1. The O2 oxygen sensor produces a voltage between .1 mV and .9 mV. The ECM monitors O2 sensor voltage and determines if exhaust is lean or rich. O2 sensor voltage is high when exhaust is rich and low when exhaust is lean. The ECM monitors this voltage and increases or decreases fuel injector pulsewidth according to engine fuel/air ratio. If the ECM detects low HO2Sensor voltage for an extended period, it will set P0136 Conditions required to set: HO2 sensor voltage is low for longer than 2 minutes (minutes depend on model of vehicle. Could be up to 4 minutes)

Read more at: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0136

Old 05-28-16, 06:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! I am not sure of the capabilities of their reader, but most will pinpoint which sensor is at fault. However, a general code of the circuit being bad may not indicate any of the sensors are malfunctioning. Rather there could be a chafed wire or loose connection leading to the computer. My theory is, if you change one, change them all. They are the same age and are in the same environment, and will fail sequentially. I don't think they are over $20, so being under the car and changing one with the other 3 within arms reach would be a given.

Hang in here as the others will chime in with their opinions and advice.

Edit: See? Igor types faster than me.

Old 05-28-16, 06:51 AM
Group Moderator
Keep in mind that simply replacing the O2 sensor may not fix the problem. The site obd-codes tells us:

A code P0136 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Faulty O2 sensor leak in exhaust close to O2 sensor
Short to voltage on O2 signal circuit
Open in circuit resistance caused by corrosion in connector

Possible Solutions

Replace the second oxygen sensor on bank 1
Repair open or short in signal circuit
Clean corrosion from connector

Read more at: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0136
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

Its possible that you could clear the code... drive it a few hundred miles, then if the light doesn't reoccur, have it tested again.

Old 05-30-16, 09:11 AM
Thanks to all this is great I'm doing the job today. But I stopped in at the parts store and they ask for the sensor by front and rear vs bank 1 or bank two. The upstream/downstream part is fine. Is bank one front or rear. Thx again jp

Old 05-30-16, 09:26 AM
Group Moderator
Bank number #1 is usually designated by the side plug #1 is on.
So on your engine.... the back is bank 1.

Name:  ford.gif
Views: 484
Size:  4.9 KB
Strange... I found several plug layout diagrams but at least 1 was always in the back.