hub assembly bolts

Old 05-31-16, 03:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
hub assembly bolts

My stepson has a chevy malibu and has said for the last few weeks that he needed brakes. I kept trying to get him to bring it up so I could look at it first but he never would. Yesterday during our cookout he asked if I could install brakes saturday. I reminded him we needed to look at it first so after some of the cars thinned out he drove it to the front of my shop and I jacked it up. The brake pads were almost new but the driver's side hub assembly had 2 of the 3 bolts missing Not sure why the wheel hadn't already fell off!!

Anyway it being a holiday I was limited as to where I could buy bolts. The only place I could get metric bolts the right sizw was at Lowes and they only had them in grade 5. Is that strong enough? If it was something I drove I wouldn't give it a second thought but this kid had no idea the wheel was wobbling and about to fall off!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-16, 03:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
IMO, grade 5 in a combination is adequate, although grade 8 would probably be what was originally there. Did you note what grade the original bolt was?

Old 05-31-16, 04:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I had hoped to buy them in grade 8 but they didn't have any in metric
I didn't pay that much attention to the remaining bolt, just assumed I'd get grade 8 but ended up getting the only ones they had that would thread up.

I still can't get over that kid not noticing how bad it was, I couldn't imagine driving it 100' without realizing the wheel was wobbling. He was lucky, it could have been bad! 1 bolt had obviously been missing for a long time but the other bolt had a fresh break that was just starting to rust.

Old 05-31-16, 04:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I can't say I haven't been there. When I bought my third TR6 for restoration it had true wire wheels on it. Driving one day and noticed the same thing, a little bump and wobble. I jacked it up and loosened the knock off and pull the wheel, and gasped. 3 of the 4 bolts were missing. Needless to say, I bought stock in Loctite that day when I replaced all 16 bolts. Of course when I went to trade wire wheels for Cosmics, I had a fit removing the bolts holding the splines. At least they never came loose again.

Search this Thread