How to improve lighting without replacing light bulbs

Old 06-12-16, 06:38 AM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
How to improve lighting without replacing light bulbs

[youtube]B3Xt8pdeuMM[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3Xt8pdeuMM

Ok, sorry it's in Russian but for the purpose should do.
Points are:
1. on cars older than 10 yrs, expect voltage drop to the headlight bulb due to multiple old connections to the bulb
2. according to pictures posted and luxmeter data he presents, even 0.5V change already improves luminosity. See last pics - that's 150% improvement over the initial voltage. He went from 12V all the way up to 13.96V. Luminosity went up from 20.1 KLux to 31.4 KLux. He does NOT recommend doing anything for cars that have 12.5V supplied to the bulb.
3. Fix he recommends is this:
https://www.amazon.com/Kensun-Conver.../dp/B00FOX5HKG

or whatever it is for your particular headlight. Technically it's a direct bypass harness that connects bulb straight to the battery.
According to the guy, any headlight with voltage below 12V - with engine running - will NOT respond to any bulb upgrades simply because there is not enough voltage supplied to the bulb.

He's some sort of lighting technician at some large car repair center. Has many lighting videos.

Old 06-13-16, 10:23 AM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
I'll make it a bit easier to digest.
Every 0.5 V to the bulb improvement increases light output by about 4-5 kilo lux. Or, so does his machine say.
He started with pretty common headlight at 12 V and raised voltage all the way to 13.96 (says his requirement won't let him do 14V) and as the result, luminosity went up from 20.1 KLux to 31.4Klux.
He also clearly warned that higher voltage to bulb will burn it out faster.
He recommends a direct battery to bulb bypass harness as fix for low voltage supply older cars.
He says he saw older cars coming with 10V at the bulb.
Thus, whatever is below 12V at the bulb needs to be treated with bypass harness not with HID or LED light bulb.
For comparison, I checked my 10 yo Camry voltage at the bulb and it is 14.36 with engine running.
Hence I cleared myself for LED bulbs ordered.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: