Hesitation on Acceleration

Old 07-06-16, 08:37 AM
Hesitation on Acceleration

My new-to-me 2011 Acura TL is exhibiting intermittent hesitation upon acceleration and there is no check engine light. Maybe I have bad luck because it seems like three of my past four vehicles have done this and I never determined the cause. It seems to occur between 1,500 and 3,000 RPM but once the RPMs get above 3k it accelerates like a bat out of hell. I suspect maybe it's one or more of the coil packs because the previous owner had three of the six replaced shortly before selling it, but if that were the case I would think it would get worse at higher RPM, not better. I've seen these bluetooth and USB diagnostic dongles that plug into the OBDII port and supposedly monitor all of the vehicle functions in real time using a smart phone app or laptop. I'm wondering if this type of tool will allow me to pinpoint what is happening. I've seen several for under $50. Anyone use one of these?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-16, 08:52 AM
Group Moderator
Is it just not in the power curve of the engine until 3K RPM?

Old 07-06-16, 09:15 AM
Is it just not in the power curve of the engine until 3K RPM?
I highly doubt it. Plus it doesn't do it all of the time and it isn't a smooth power transition. It's accelerate slightly - hesitate (1,500 RPM) - accelerate a little more - hesitate (2,000 RPM) - accelerate a little more - hesitate (2,500 RPM) - take off like bat out of hell (3,000 RPM+).

Last edited by mossman; 07-06-16 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-06-16, 10:46 AM
Group Moderator
it doesn't do it all of the time
Yep, that eliminates my thought as a possibility.

Old 07-08-16, 08:54 AM
Maybe it is a power curve thing because I've been keeping the RPMs around 2,500 to 3,000 (using sport mode) and it seems more responsive. I have it stuck in my head from when I first learned to drive a manual transmission (1983 Honda Accord) that I would need to shift to the next highest gear at around 2,750 to 3,000 RPM. I imagine this is not the case with a 3.7L V6 motor that redlines at 7,000 RPM.

I borrowed a BAFX OBDII reader from a buddy of mine and spent a few minutes fiddling around with it. It's a bluetooth device and you use it with an app called Torque. There are six default gauges that display real-time data (you can add many more supposedly). One of the gauges is throttle position in percentage. At idle, I am getting a reading of 14% and 80% at WOT. Does this sound normal?