2001 Trooper coil pack testing

Old 07-10-16, 10:21 AM
2001 Trooper coil pack testing

Is there a way to determine if a coil pack is bad on my 2001 Trooper and which one? Simple code reader says I have a intermittent misfire.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-16, 08:01 AM
To clarify my problem I have what feels like a misfire although code reader isn't picking up on that now. I replaced plugs and fuel filter since plugs looked to be burning lean. Now my mechanic says I may need new o ring gasket that effects vacuum system. Does that sound feasible?

Old 07-11-16, 12:16 PM
for an occasional misfire there really isn't a good way to check the coils a better scanner would probably show misfire counters and you may be able to narrow it down to witch cylinder is misfiring.
would probably pull all the coils and plugs and check closely inside all the boots and plugs for tracking or any other damage to the boots if you see a boot or plug with any carbon tracking replace them both. boots are available at rock auto if your parts store doesn't carry them, looks like cylinder 6 takes a shorter boot than the rest.
the majority of intermittent misfires is caused by spark leakage due to a bad boot or plug seal witch causes the spark to go where its not supposed to.