98 Ford Taurus with idle fluctuation

Old 07-12-16, 06:47 PM
98 Ford Taurus with idle fluctuation

I've got a 98 ford taurus with a v6 3.0 OHV engine. The rpm at idle will drop from about 1100 to around 800 and will rise then fall to various rpm within this range.The car is showing NO check engine light or codes. I've replaced the IAC motor, Throttle position sensor, DPFE (egr pressure feedback sensor) Also replaced the altenator and battery. (for seperate issue I was having) I removed and cleaned the throttle body (carb cleaner), and the MAF sensor (sensor kleen). MAF sensor seemed to be fine just a little dirty. Also changed both the fuel and air filter. checked the fuel pump and it seems to be working. Ran a bottle of fuel injector cleaner through as well. I have a new set of NGK plugs and plug wires I'll be installing soon. My guess at this point is maybe a vacuum leak or the fuel pressure regulator. Does anyone have any suggestions or any ideas of other issues that may be causing this????

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-16, 06:49 PM
Vacuum leak would be top of my list....

Old 07-12-16, 07:12 PM
Group Moderator
Fuel pressure regulator would be second on my list.

I've been thru plenty of fuel regulators on my Ford vehicles. There is a test port on the fuel rail for testing purposes. The gauge runs around $35 if you feel the need to add to your tool supply.

Old 07-12-16, 07:45 PM
I'm up in Canada at the moment and everything is way more expensive than it is in Georgia where I'm from. I'll see if I can find a place to find one of those testers though

Old 07-13-16, 03:09 PM
Air leak.
EGR valve.

IAC was my first guess though. I had a Taurus. Yes, I saw you replaced it. I had THREE alternators for that Taurus bad out of box one evening.

Search this Thread