2002 Jeep Liberty misfire

Old 07-19-16, 04:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
2002 Jeep Liberty misfire

My stepson's jeep is barely running. Pulled 2 codes; P0302 and P0500.

I couldn't figure out much at his place so I wound up trailering it to mine. Didn't figure out much today and the heat/humidity got to me

My son thinks it's either a bad coil or burnt valve but last time it had a bad coil it ran better than it does now. Hopefully I can check out both of those in the AM.

I originally felt and still do a little that it's a fuel issue. The fuel pressure is at 46 psi. the book says it should be between 47.2 and 50.1. I was going to replace the fuel filter but it's at the front of the tank. I'm not sure how it comes out but maybe if I jack it up I can tell more. It's a pricey filter [$30] so not sure I want to change it just because. The book states it should never need to be changed He was rear ended by a motorcycle a few years ago and the tank was replaced. I don't know if they would have installed a new filter or re used the old one. The jeep has 159k miles.

My wife is convinced somebody put something in the tank because there has been a lot of vandalism around his place lately but I don't understand how that could be since it drove fine, he pulled in the driveway, shut it off for a half hour and then it wouldn't run. that was in the daylight.

Anything else I can check in the morning?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-16, 05:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hopefully is is not a 4.7 liter V8. If so, it is notorious for dropping lifters and throwing the P03XX code, the last two indicating the cylinder affected. BTDT. Replaced all 16 lifters, rather than paying the stealer each time it happened.

Old 07-19-16, 06:08 PM
Group Moderator
The jeep has 159k miles.
Does it have the original plugs and wires in it ?

P0500 is vehicle speed sensor malfunction. I wouldn't think that would cause misfire issues.

Old 07-20-16, 03:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Last december I tuned it up along with replacing 1 coil and installing a used computer. Since the junkyard computer wouldn't work the oil light I replaced it with a new one when his income tax refund came in. It's the 3.7 V6. Has the coil over the plug set up - no traditional ignition wires.

Weather man is calling for 90s and high humidity again today

Old 07-20-16, 09:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Anyone know for certain where the number 1 cylinder is? My Haynes manual says it's on the driver's side but most everywhere else says the passenger side

Halfway thru the compression check and the bendix seems to be stuck. Looks like you have to remove either the front driveshaft or exhaust [maybe both] to remove it

Old 07-20-16, 08:42 PM
Group Moderator
Two votes for the drivers side..........

Name:  order.JPG
Views: 221
Size:  32.4 KB

Name:  order2.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  47.5 KB

Old 07-21-16, 04:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
But I've also found this image multiple times on the net

http://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com...2/12/3_7-K.jpg

Search this Thread