jeep rocker arm

Old 07-26-16, 12:57 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
jeep rocker arm

Finally found the reason for the dead cylinder in my stepson's Liberty. The first rocker arm on the passenger side came off [intake?] It has roller rockers with an overhead cam which is something I've never worked on before. Both the roller rocker and the spring appear to be in good shape. Any ideas as to why the rocker came off? also any tips on putting it back on?

Old 07-26-16, 01:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
As I stated in the other thread... The lifter failed and the rocker arm is not held in place except by the pressure of the valve train spring and the lifter. If one or the other fail, the rocker arm falls out harmlessly into the valve cover area. BTDT 16 times on the 4.7 v8. Maybe they never got the memo about it not working well.

Old 07-26-16, 03:17 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
That isn't what I wanted to hear I guess that means I'll have to dig deeper into it

Old 07-27-16, 12:29 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The lifter is a lot different than any other engine I've worked on. Very easy to remove @ the cylinder head/valve train. The trick is going to be installing the rocker arm. Apparently you need a $90 tool not sure if it can be rented or not. Maybe I'll find a way around it

At least the mad rush to fix the jeep is over. Either my stepson or his mama lost confidence in me and he went out and bought a new car so all I have to do is get the jeep ready to sell.

Old 07-27-16, 01:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You won't need the tool, but you will have to rotate the engine to relieve the tension on every location (intake/exhaust). Once the tension is relieved you can wedge the rocker in. It will be tight, but I found the tool to be a "tool box resident" beyond this job. Be sure to soak the lifters in a bowl of oil a day or so before you install them so they will be lubricated at start up.

Old 07-27-16, 02:04 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Good to know you don't have to have that tool! I only intend to replace the one lifter. Just hoping to get it decent enough where he can get a decent price out of it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: