'95 Lumina APV: Pulling A/C compressor

Old 07-28-16, 02:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
'95 Lumina APV: Pulling A/C compressor

I have a '95 Lumina APV. The A/C compressor is making noise. I don't want to spend enough on that old minivan to put on another compressor. I bought a bypass pulley, but can't figure out how to get to the compressor to get it off. I am not a novice, I was a Toyota certified mechanic at one time. I even bought a Haynes manual, but it doesn't give a clear explanation either. Has anyone ever pulled one on this vehicle?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-16, 08:37 PM
Most likely noise is coming from bad clutch and those can be replaced on the vehicle. Just saying.
Can't you simply run a non ac belt on that car? Sometimes you can.
Why do you need to remove comp? To install pulley instead?

Old 07-28-16, 08:45 PM
Old 07-29-16, 05:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Google link is wrong, none of those show a 95 Lumina (wrong engine) and no you cannot run a non A/C belt on it. You also cannot change the clutch in car,(it is not the clutch bearing anyway, it is the compressor bearing) you cannot get to it. I am looking for someone with the specific info.

Last edited by sam floor; 07-29-16 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-29-16, 06:48 AM
its been awhile but believe you remove the compressor from under the van don't recall it being to difficult.
if the bearing isn't bad on the clutch would just disconnect the compressor so it doesn't come on rather than install a idler pulley but its probably making noise all the time and the clutch bearing is bad fairly common when a compressor goes bad it overheats the clutch from slipping and takes it out to.

Old 07-29-16, 07:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Everything on the vehicle runs on one belt. Can't just disconnect the compressor.(tried to find a shorter belt, they don't make one). Even with the shield pulled underneath, you can not get to the compressor. Clutch and compressor bearing are both bad.