2008 Infiniti G35X: Body Control Module needs replacing??

Old 08-01-16, 03:00 PM
2008 Infiniti G35X: Body Control Module needs replacing??

Car wouldn't start last Friday, was a heavy downpour. would crank for about 6 seconds, never turning over. EVENTUALLY started after 7-8 tries. Began driving to work, 1 mile into trip the instrument panel goes black, but still driving and motor running. I pulled over & put car in park. decided to go back home, but couldn't get shifter out of park, even tried pushing the shift lock release button. Car is a push start. I went to turn car off and restart, but when I pushed the button the car remained running and the instrument panel came back to life. Drove to dealer, and car actually drove fine, just now the check engine light is on.

Dealer asks if car was in accident (involving right front) or if windshield was ever replaced. Answer was no. He said water was pooling on inside of plastic casing of the body control module, corroding the circuit board. So he needs 2.5 hours of labor to pull carpet back, remove wire harnesses, etc to gain access. Then another $700 or so for part and labor to install part.

Any idea what can cause this? I actually did have some body work done, a deer hit my left fender about 3 years ago, but was isolated to left front. Only dealer serviced, except for occasional oil changes, oh, and I had my y-pipe replaced at Meineke about 3 months ago, but don't know if they would get close enough to the drain pipe, but I could be wrong. Also thinking the heavy rains that day affected the module.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-16, 08:57 PM
Group Moderator
Water in that location could be coming from a leaking windshield. Have them check for that when they make the repairs.

Old 08-02-16, 06:43 AM
Pete - They did ask if the windshield was ever replaced, so they will be checking for a leak there. They also mentioned that a drain tube may not have been in the right place, allowing water drain right onto the module case instead of down and out. Without a visual I don't understand how this would happen.

Old 08-10-16, 08:33 AM
So the dealer states there was a seam that was split and that's where the water was leaking in to the BCM, so they applied epoxy & silicone to repair the seam, then replaced the BCM. Does anyone have an idea how this could happen? could this have been damaged during another repair? faulty workmanship?

Also right front wheel bearing being replaced for a second time, first at 60k miles, and now at 145k. Left front bearing was also replaced at 80k miles. really??