General Maintenance Question for 2014 Honda Accord LX.

Old 08-02-16, 05:21 PM
General Maintenance Question for 2014 Honda Accord LX.

My Honda's manual doesn't include a maintenance schedule. The car is so smart, that it will tell you when it needs maintenance. However, so far, at 30,000 miles, the only thing the car has told me needed to be done was change the oil a few times (which I do myself). I've tried to get a maintenance schedule from the dealer to no avail. They tell me the car won't need any other routine maintenance until 100,000 miles. So aside from the things I can do myself: tires, brake pads/rotors, check fluids, change the oil (and oil filter), lights, wipers, air filter - is there any other maintenance you think it needs? Because the first time this car goes to the shop may by at the 100k mile mark. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-16, 05:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Disregard the dealer header, as it was a Google search for general information. The page does give the rundown of Honda's maintenance schedule. https://www.southpointhonda.com/hond...e-schedule.htm

Old 08-02-16, 09:13 PM
Looks more like a dealer's wish list...

Let's see - based on that list, I need to change the spark plugs... hmm, it doesn't say. It implies that the transmission fluid needs to be changed every 30,000 miles - which is absurd. It doesn't even mention the timing belt. That list is basically useless. That list is basically the dealer saying, "being your car in every 7500 miles."

I would like recommendations from the manufacturer that apply to my specific model. Since that seems to be impossible to obtain, I was hoping someone would offer some expertise: what would be a reasonable maintenance schedule?

Thanks.

Old 08-03-16, 04:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
https://www.driverside.com/service-s...3284-1530862-0

I'm not going to do your google searching for you, but it is all out there for you to look at. If you choose not to do a certain maintenance item, it is totally up to you. Today's vehicles run for quite a few more miles than our 1955 Chevy's, by virtue of tolerances and electronics. I take our Honda CRV in for certain maintenance intervals and let the dealer go over it. But, since we live a hundred miles from a dealer, it is not feasible to do it at oil change time alone.

Old 08-03-16, 03:03 PM
1. You spark plugs are due at 100 000 miles what I do mine at around 80 000. Just because.
2. You likely have a timing chain if it's 4cyl. Lifetime. If it's V6, then look it up yourself. You can Google just like we can.
3. Biggest question is your transmission fluid. Here's my opinion - backed by others from Honda forums. Modern cars tend to claim lifetime ATF. So we respectfully disregard that and change ATF in Hondas every about 30-40 000 miles. I may pass on this for our Lexus, but it's Lexus. Honda is KNOWN for having chitty transmissions and changing ATF frequently is safe and cheap way to avoid major expense down the road.

Old 08-04-16, 09:06 AM
Honda is KNOWN for having chitty transmissions and changing ATF frequently is safe and cheap way to avoid major expense down the road.
+1^^^

I have a 2011 Acura TL and the manufacturer recommends ATF every 120k. I've been having abnormal shifting issues since I purchased the car a few months ago (car has 65k miles on it). I decided to drain/refill the transmission fluid (3x3 drain/refill) and there has been a drastic improvement. So IMO, I would replace the tranny fluid every 30k. Redline ATF came highly recommended and that is the fluid I used this time around.

Old 08-04-16, 04:54 PM
Yeah, their manual transmissions are great. Put Amsoil gear oil in and it will run forever. Autos - not so.
I also flush trannie with Transtune before ATF change. And add a little of Lucas ATF treatment. Smoooooth.

Old 08-07-16, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the info

Thanks Chandler for the website link - that looks like what I was looking for! I appreciate you googling it for me because it's not so easy to find; if you google "Honda Service Schedule", that website doesn't come up (at least in the first 5 pages - didn't look at all 1.5 milllion hits).

Good intel about the transmission. Looking at the service schedule, it looks like I haven't missed anything yet, it's all inspect/adjust type of stuff. I'm about to hit 30k miles, so I think I will wait for that just to see if the maintenance minder comes on and then regardless take it for the transmission & brake fluid and fuel filter.