Bug and Tar Pre-Wash

Old 08-02-16, 06:22 PM
Bug and Tar Pre-Wash

I'm looking for recommendations on what bug and tar remover to use prior to washing my car. I've seen products by Rain X and Turtle Wax with different price points but have no idea what makes one better than the other. I want a product that is strong enough to remove bugs and tar with ease and is safe to use every wash.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-16, 06:45 PM
I like the solvent based bug & tar cleaners, but really never used it on bugs, just tar. It smells like paint thinner and probably will remove the wax if used repeatedly, but is excellent for removing tar.

Old 08-03-16, 03:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've always used baking soda for bugs and mineral spirits for tar. Most any solvent including gas will work but the hotter solvents can eat into the paint, all will eat wax.

Old 08-03-16, 02:09 PM
Bug and tar removing pre wash does not exist. What they sell you does practically nothing. It's liability issue, they do not want to damage paint.
Anything suggested above is a home made solutions UAYOR.
3M sells clear pre cut decals that you can put onto vehicle front or headlights as preventative measure.
I say, after thourough wash, THICK layer of quality wax in those areas does best.

Old 08-23-16, 08:47 AM
I've been using WD-40 sprayed on a clean cloth to remove bug and road tar from my car. For larger areas I just sprayed the affected area and wiped off. Then use a good car wash soap to remove the oily residue. Of course you have to re-apply wax to those sections.

Old 08-23-16, 10:32 AM
Group Moderator
I'm in the WD-40 camp, too.

Old 08-23-16, 12:59 PM
Hmm, okay, but doesn't that leave a greasy residue that's difficult to wash off, gets on your wash mitt, smeared everywhere?

Old 08-23-16, 01:01 PM
Group Moderator
WD40 is not as tough to wash off as I think you think it is.

Old 08-23-16, 07:38 PM
Doesn't smear and washes right off. I just used it this afternoon, finally washing my SUV after a road trip last week. On the front bumper cover the mostly bug splatters came off real easy although some of them required a bit more rubbing. Then I used my car wash soap and no problem.
By the way........a few years ago I picked up a shiny brand new bike from a bike shop and noticed a familiar aroma - WD-40. I found out that they spray the bikes with WD-40 to clean them after assembly with sometimes greasy hands. Cleans and shines and protects the finish in one shot. I use this method on my bikes a few times a year. Today I quickly rubbed down three bikes after cleaning the SUV, removing dust, dirt and oil spots on one from an over lubed chain. Since I don't follow up with a soapy water wash on the bike the WD (Water Displacement formula 40) provides a protective film for a good while.

Old 08-24-16, 03:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The only downside to leaving a greasy residue is that makes it more prone for dust to stick to the finish.

Old 08-24-16, 03:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
WD40 is not a lubricant as is wrongfully advertised. It is short lived and will wash away. It is a Water Displacement formula 40 product. It displaces water. It is not difficult to wash away with soap and water and will remove bugs and tar.