Lower Control Arms

Old 08-08-16, 03:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Lower Control Arms

I don't work on cars much, my 2004 Tundra has needed very few repairs.

The wife has a 2012 Nissan Rogue (about 50K miles), the dealer is telling her she needs front lower control arms, it's an expensive repair.

Is it odd that such a part would need replaced so soon?
It would seem to me these parts would be built to last, maybe that's not true.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-16, 04:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What is wrong with control arm? ball joint bad, bushing bad? A lot of cars if ball joint is bad you have to replace control arm.

Old 08-08-16, 05:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can't find the estimate. It was the bushings are bad. I'm not familiar if the method of repair is to replace the bushings or the entire assembly.
Either way, I'm wondering if this is normal. It doesn't seem like bushings should be a maintenance item.

Old 08-08-16, 07:22 PM
Group Moderator
I was poking around and I found this video. The bushings are replaceable but from what I'm seeing the ball joint boot is also a problem area. The ball joint is only available with the lower control arm. I'm seeing $65-100 per control arm not including bushings. One total repair I saw was the two arms, bushings and install for $600.

you tube/watch?v=_-mbutSwQCc

There are other videos that show replacing the bushings. They do need to be pressed out. It doesn't look too hard to do but it could push an inexperienced DIY'ers patience.

To answer your question directly... 50K is too early for bushings to be bad.

Old 08-09-16, 03:56 AM
Not too long ago, I had an experience with Control Arms on my Volvo S60. The Bushings were wearing at around 125,000 miles; but the Aluminum Castings which form the Arms itself were fine. As a matter of fact, the Control Arms shouldn't wear UNLESS maintenance of the Bushings is deferred so long that the wear extends beyond the Bushing into the Casting.

The Garage wanted to replace the entire Control Arm Assemblies (two Bushings and one Ball Joint each) because they didn't have a Bearing Press.

There was nothing wrong with the Ball Joints, and really, only two (2) of the four Bushings were in need of replacement.

My Garage didn't have a Bearing Press, so they were opting for the expensive total assembly replacement (with my money!) because that would be more convenient for them. I wound up going to another Garage equipped with a Bearing Press and replaced only the four (4) Bushings for a cost of less that $90,00 total for the four, plus 1 hours of Labor . . . . a savings of nearly $400.00.

At 273,000 miles, I'm still using the same old Control Arms . . . . but it may be time to check in on those Bushings again.

Old 08-09-16, 03:58 AM
Group Moderator
I would find a good independent garage, both for a second opinion and the actual repair if needed.

Old 08-09-16, 09:39 AM
How expensive is expensive, OP?
Control arms are routinely replaced without any major equipment, just using jackstand and basic tools.
That said I start sounding like a real broken record. But talk to guys at any local parts store and find a mobile mechanic to come to you. They are cheap and honest one will be upfront with you on replacement necessity. it is not feasible to replace bushings, entire assembly is cheap enough simply to replace whole part.

Old 08-09-16, 11:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think it was about $800. Plus alignment and so forth.

If a mobile mechanic can do it in my driveway, I might do it myself. I work on my own motorcycle and have the tools.

Is this just a matter of remove the old and replace with new? (after getting access/disassembly).
No special tools are needed such as to compress a spring or a strut?

Old 08-09-16, 03:06 PM
Group Moderator
That job shouldn't require an alignment unless there was a suspicion that the alignment was out already.

Old 08-09-16, 04:41 PM
From what I saw/read, Nissan has some funky looking control arm with 3 point attachment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-mbutSwQCc

90 bucks for CA? Pay another $15 for Chilton manual for the year and DIY. No alignment needed thereafter, as strut is not connected to CA. Biggest headacxhe will be getting LBJ out of hub. Got a hammer?