'07 Jeep totally integrated power module problem

Old 08-12-16, 12:04 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
'07 Jeep totally integrated power module problem

The passenger side headlamp on my daughter's 07 Compass appeared to burn out, but when I replaced it with a new bulb, it still wouldn't work.

A trip to my friendly local mechanic - his verdict was a fault in the TIPM and said that only a dealer could perform the fix and with labor, it would likely cost in the $1500. range.

$1500 to get a headlight working on a 9-year-old vehicle?

I did some checking on the net and these TIPM failures seem quite common on Jeeps.

I watched a video where a guy changed the TIPM in an identical Jeep in 15 minutes, and also found a used replacement I can buy for $250 with 90 day warranty, but am told the vehicle will not operate without being flashed by a dealer.

Can I not just tap into the driver's side headlight wiring like I have wired trailer tail lights?

Any other ways to solve this problem?

Old 08-12-16, 03:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,338 Upvotes on 2,997 Posts
That's a body control module and as such needs to be flashed. Maybe not necessarily by a dealer but it needs to be done. The vehicles PCM communicates with it which is the reason for flashing it.

There could be a ground problem to it or possibly a bad relay in the relay module.
Not an easy repair.

Those modules are available re-manufactured from places like A1 CARDONE where you will at least get a warranty on it.

Old 08-12-16, 04:05 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is it possible or better, likely that re-flashing will solve the problem?

If not, say I buy the module and install it in the vehicle.

Can it be driven, then? Or is it dead in the water (or actually in the driveway) until flashed?

I'm trying to avoid the dealership route as they told my mechanic there would be 5 hours labor. It looks like I could do it (without the flashing, of course) in an easy half hour. Could a dealer really charge 5 hours for this simple job?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: