Coolant got into one of the spark plugs

Old 08-21-16, 10:19 PM
Coolant got into one of the spark plugs

Hi everyone. 2008 Hyundai Elantra. Couple of months ago my upper radiator hose blew up, and sprayed coolant all over. I replaced it, cleaned up the mess. Or so i thought. Recently car started misfiring. Checked the codes, pointing at misfire in cylinder #4. No problem, got spark plugs and new wires. When got to #4, i saw rust and water. Got spark plug out, used paper towels to absorb water. Car runs good, not misfiring anymore. Question is, do i need to do anything about the corrosion in there, or worry about it at all. The spark plug's electrodes were wet , not the terminal where it connects with the wire. And it's from coolant getting in there. So what do i do now? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-16, 01:55 AM
Super Moderator
No way coolant could get to the electrodes from the situation you describe unless the plug was only about 1/2 way in. You said " Recently car started misfiring...". if it was more than a few days after the hose blew, the two are unrelated.

More likely you had a bad wire and the plug wasn't firing, therefore wet from fuel.

Your comment about "got spark plug out, used paper towels to absorb water" doesn't make much sense. If it was a few months since the blown hose, it would have evaporated naturally.

Old 08-22-16, 05:03 AM
It didn't have fuel smell though. And the coolant caused some corrosion /pitting on the aluminum?

Old 08-22-16, 05:06 AM
It was wet on the outside, i saw rust and water when i pulled off the wire.

Old 08-22-16, 12:30 PM
For 2008 you have spark plugs sitting in plug tubes completely sealed by ignition packs, right? As GG said - there is no way.
Also, coolant does not cause rust. One of its purposes is actually to prevent rust. Was your vehicle running with water in the system instead?
Aluminum does not rust.
That said, you are referring to the part of the plug that is OUTSIDE the engine head? Or, inside?

Oh, I see

The spark plug's electrodes were wet not the terminal where it connects with the wire.

You have head gasket issue. It's leaking coolant into the combustion chamber. Or, crack in the head causing same.

Btw, that explains "pitting" as coolant has water in it and water is not compressible. Under high CC pressure and temp, water droplets act like jack hammer on any metal.

Old 08-22-16, 06:16 PM
I would have agreed with you about the head cracked , but the problem started outside of the block, in that plug tube, then with time, it appears, liquid found it's way inside. The spark plugs are not really sealed there, plus the coolant was coming out of the pin hole in the blown hose aimed directly at that plug under pressure, so it's quite possible scenario. Car runs fine now. Just was wondering if i need to worry about liquid in the engine. It won't be much, maybe 2-3cc, and possibly corrosion. Thanks

Old 08-22-16, 07:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree with ukrbyk. My bet is on a blown/cracked head gasket. Possibly a cracked head but I'm betting on blown/cracked gasket.

The reason your car runs fine now, is because (at this point) you have new plugs & got all the water out of the #4 cylinder. As you continue to drive it, water/antifreeze will continue to get back into the cylinder & will start to run rough again.

I'm betting on probably a crack in the head gasket. Not really a blown head gasket. Probably cracked/torn/blown just enough to let a little water get into that cylinder. This is why it took several days for it to start acting up after the hose busted. Its probably just a drip getting into that cylinder past that cracked gasket.

I'm not sure if the hose & gasket situations are related. Its possible but at this point, I don't believe for a second that the water got into the plugs or cylinder from the blown hose.

Old 08-22-16, 09:22 PM
are you sure it wasn't oil from a leaking valve cover seal? anyway there shouldn't be any liquid where the wire or coil boot attaches to the plug.
typical head gasket or cracked head will usually only misfire on start up for a few seconds then clear up it would also only leak in the combustion chamber and not get the plug wire boot wet, would just keep an eye on your coolant level and see if you notice the engine misfiring anymore perhaps you have fixed it but when you remove the plug with liquid surrounding it in the tube it will run into the cylinder and of course get on the electrode at the same time.

Old 08-23-16, 07:52 AM
Yes, i think that's what happened. I will keep an eye, for sure. There was no oil at all, and there doesn't seem to be any water in motor oil either.