GPS Tracking Device

Old 08-25-16, 11:39 PM
GPS Tracking Device

I am looking for a small GPS Tracking device to put inside a car or a safe. Most likely, it will have monthly fee right?

If you have been using one, please share your thoughts and recommendations.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-16, 12:43 AM
Group Moderator
There are many for cars. Some with free apps.

I doubt you'll get one to work inside a safe. The unit needs a line of sight to the satellites.

Old 08-26-16, 01:38 AM
Can you provide the name of such?

Originally Posted by PJMax
I doubt you'll get one to work inside a safe. The unit needs a line of sight to the satellites.
It will be the last line of defense once they open the safe.

Old 08-26-16, 03:04 AM
Super Moderator
For the safe have you thought of fastening it to the floor or wall.
This would affect its fire rating but a hole drilled into the back or bottom and a length of threaded rod into the next room or basement and a hidden fastening nut to secure it.
It would be possible to defeat but a clever installation would make it very difficult.

Here
is one tracker.

Old 08-26-16, 05:36 AM
Group Moderator
There are tons of GPS trackers. They have them intended specifically for cars all the way down to pets so you can see where your dog or cat goes when your not watching. Just search online and many, many options will come up.

Car trackers are common as many used car dealers install them to make repossession easier. There generally is a fee if you want to be able to track the vehicle.

I would say putting a tracker inside a safe is a waste of money. Last line of defense... I'm not buying it. It could work if the thieves decide to cut open the safe outside, remove the tracing device and set it out in the open so it can get satellite lock and leave it undisturbed long enough to gain a fix and transmit it's location.

Then there is the battery problem. Think of how long your cell phone can go without a charge. Trackers consume a lot of power and most battery powered ones life is measured in hours not days. Car trackers are wired to get power from the vehicle while battery powered ones are usually intended to be charged daily. After all, a tracker must remain powered up to track it's location and it also must power a transmitter to send out that location for tracking.