2001 Pontiac Montana: self leveling suspension

Old 08-29-16, 11:12 PM
2001 Pontiac Montana: self leveling suspension

2001 Pontiac Montana. How do I tell if the van has self leveling rear suspension. I need to replace the rear shocks but there are 2 types. One for self leveling and one if it does not have it. The van does have a air compressor built into the rear for inflating tires but I don't know if it does anything with the suspension or not. Do I look under the van and if I don't see airbags then it's normal shocks?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-16, 09:21 PM
Well I took a look under the rear and it does have self leveling air shocks. there is a cable like thing that is connected to the shocks then there is a air hose with a T that is dangling and not connected to anything plus it looks like a soaker hose so it will need replacing. Since the air suspension does not work can I replace them with normal shocks or do I have to replace the entire hose system.

Old 08-31-16, 12:48 AM
Group Moderator
If you want to maintain the auto level system then you need new air shocks, new air lines and it sounds like maybe an air pump.

With the age of the vehicle I don't think I'd repair the auto level suspension and just put in regular shocks.

Old 08-31-16, 09:45 AM
Group Moderator
If you have the air suspension and don't want the expense and maintenance of an air ride suspension there are companies like Strutmasters that make retrofits to convert to traditional shocks.

Old 08-31-16, 11:52 PM
Thing is what condition is the system to begin with. rotted hose and the T connector is just hanging from the bracket not connected to anything. Pump don't look healthy looks rusty. New pump is $200. Hose is only $15 and air shocks are only $65 for the pair but what about the sensors and other stuff that make it work like the air tank if it has one etc. and I might have to cut the old shocks off and replace the bolts as while it looks like there are threads sticking out from the nut they feel smooth plus they are rusty. Checking strutmasters website I don't see a conversion kit available for this model. They are only offering new air kits like tanks etc. I know their are 2 types of shocks available. one for self leveling and one without. Could I just go with the ones that are for without if they are the same size as the current ones? its not a matter of maintaining its a matter of is it worth completely rebuilding the rear air suspension.

Old 09-01-16, 03:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Pay attention to the length and how they mount, if you can't compare the two online get them to show you at the parts store.

Old 09-01-16, 05:32 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, you can go with non air shocks. The company Strutmasters specializes in conversions from air suspensions and makes shocks and adapters to account for the different lengths.