Out of nowhere red flashing car with key in it on dash display

Old 08-30-16, 02:10 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Out of nowhere red flashing car with key in it on dash display

I have an 07 versa.

Today, I removed some dash trim, but made zero electrical disconnections. I only removed the plastic pieces around the radio and climate control, but did not disconnect anything, and actually did it with the car still running. I was trying to get to the ac button to see if I could find a poor contact point, because the button is so glitchy. I suspect it is some sort of spring inside the switch, and that spring is worn out, as it doesn't feel very "clicky", and feels soft when depressing ac button.

As soon as I put the pieces back, and removed my keys from ignition, that light started blinking. I've had this car since it was new and don't ever recall seeing that light, ever.

Upon reading, I've come across info indicating this flashing red light is a security feature and is normal, as long as it's only flashing once about every 10 seconds and not constant. Is this correct, and why would it suddenly begin working now?

Could a malfunctioning fob or fob battery cause it? Fob works like normal, as far as I can tell.

Something that I hope is unrelated, is recently I dropped a mentos candy down into my steering wheel compartment. I looked for it and could not recover it and have no idea where it ended up. My steering wheel seems fine but is it possible it could be related to this red flashing light?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-16, 02:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 101 Votes on 93 Posts
My wife's merc has the flashing red security light. My jeep has an alarm system but I don't remember if there is a light or not. It's not uncommon to not notice the light. I suspect that either the light always flashed and you didn't notice or working on it jarred a wire where it now gets a better connection.

Old 08-30-16, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's not a battery drain? I just timed it and it's every 3 seconds.

Old 08-30-16, 04:32 PM
Received 52 Votes on 50 Posts
It's a time bomb. Randomly selected times are build in to each and everyone. Some are just few seconds while others could last years. And then boom!

No wait, that's the other light. Don't see it? It's there.

The one you see now is the spy light. It sees and hears everything you do.

No No No...My mistake.

It's the "I dropped mentos candy down the steering column" warning light. All cars have them. If it were a junior mint it would flash blue.

The big question is why are you eating a mentos candy while driving? You know its against the law and punishable by making you serve breath mints at the nearest toll both for 8 weeks. And please accept no pennies.

Old 08-30-16, 06:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 41 Posts
Never owned a Nissan but I have seen other makes with security lights like this.

Old 08-30-16, 06:24 PM
Received 52 Votes on 50 Posts
Many cars have them. I have 2005 Safari van and it has it.

Old 08-30-16, 06:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I have a Freestar with a red LED alarm light that flashes every few seconds. Despite the fact that it is rarely driven more then thirty minutes per week it has never drained my battery. But then there are other parasitic drains on most newer cars you never see like the computer or the clock module that draws power even if the display is off.

Old 08-30-16, 06:57 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
its just a reminder not to leave your keys in the car. try this roll the windows down(just so you dont get locked out) leave the keys on the dash get out and shut the door. a loud alarm will go off with that light flashing faster.