2001 Toyota Echo: check engine light?

Old 09-03-16, 05:25 PM
2001 Toyota Echo: check engine light?

I have a 2001 Toyota Echo and a while ago my check engine light came on.

The car ran fine so I left it alone but now it's time for a new inspection and the error code fails it.

By connecting a scanner to the car, I get two fault codes of 420 and 420P. They correspond to the catalytic converter being "below threshold" , in other words-faulty.

I really don't think that the cat is bad so I replaced both O2 sensors, did a smoke test on the exhaust (no leaks anywhere) and inspected all the fuses (none broken).

I still get the C/E/L, so what else could it be?

Thank you,
Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-16, 05:34 PM
Codes involving the emission system will not fully clear until you do a certain amount of driving. Different manufacturers have different routines, but generally it takes a few days of driving to satisfy all the criteria, including several cold starts, various length trips at various speeds, etc.

If you scanner lets you look at realtime data, you can tell if the O2 is in limits, in which case you probably just need to drive it a few days.

Old 09-04-16, 06:34 AM
Not going to help you much as CEL/MIL must be off, but here ya go:

Toyota/Lexus OBD-II Drive Cycles | Car OBD Diagnostics, ECU Chip Tuning & Auto Repair Support

Try puling ECM fuse out for 15 minutes and see what happens

Old 09-04-16, 08:39 AM
Group Moderator
Does your scanner not have a clear codes function?

Old 09-04-16, 09:21 AM
Yes, it does. I have cleared the codes, driven the needed amount and then the C/E/L always pops back up again.

This has happened a number of times after each time I changed something that I hoped would fix the problem. (replace upstream o2, downstream o2, etc....)

Old 09-04-16, 03:41 PM
Tech notes As the code description implies the P0420 code means that the vehicle's control module has detected that the three-way catalytic converter is not working properly (is not as efficient as the factory is expecting). Replacing the oxygen (O2) sensors may sometimes fix the code, but in most cases the catalytic convert needs to be replaced to fix the problem. If the P0420 code is combined with other codes, try fixing the other codes first.

Read more: P0420 Toyota Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1 OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code | Engine-Codes.com

Old 09-04-16, 05:00 PM
Bad cat

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of.

The car is 15 years old and the cost of a new catalytic converter is just too much money to pour into a car that could easily develop other, even bigger problems.

I can't go that route. I was hoping it was something else, easily fixable.

Just for my own education, what is the second "P" in P0420P and why is it a separate code?

Thanks everybody, for your help.

Old 09-05-16, 06:55 AM
Well, $200 plus install ....
Look at it this way. Car served you well - right? - for 15 years. Not many like this out there. So say $300 vs new loan? Unknown car? I'd rather replace cat.
There also are some odd ways of cleaning cats on vehicle. Unless it's simply shuddered inside.
Either way - stay with Toyota.
There should be no 2 x P in error code. P simply stands for Power train.

Old 09-07-16, 05:57 AM
$200?!?!??

I wish!!

The local shop told me about $600 just for the part alone.

Old 09-09-16, 06:55 AM
Tell them to go...
Those are anywhere from $110 to 180 online.