Grease fitting / lubrication issue

Old 09-06-16, 04:43 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Grease fitting / lubrication issue

Hi. I had a first-time issue greasing my front end. I was greasing the lower fitting, which I believe to be the lower ball joint. The grease gun was VERY hard to press! What's more, I couldn't get the gun to come off the nipple. I pried it off with a screwdriver. This resulted in a loose fitting due to damaged threads, so I replaced the fitting.

Still, even with the new fitting, the gun was hard to press. Using someone's solution of pressing hard until I hear a "pop", I did just that. It now pressed normally. On the third press, grease started squeezing out. You can still see some tan grease residue in the pic, which shows the location of the exit point. I've never seen it exit from that location before.

What happened here, and is the front end part properly greased? Thanks so much! Name:  IMG_3019.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  24.8 KB

Old 09-07-16, 03:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Ball joint was dry and grease in joint was hard. I would be thinking a new ball joint in future. You may be lucky and it will last a long time. Would of said fitting was froze but you already changed it.

Old 09-07-16, 05:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 144 Votes on 112 Posts
Ball joints and tie rod ends (plus brake lines) notorious for failing on northern cars. Don't think I've ever seen one fail down here that hadn't started it's life in the snow/salt belt, so I second pug's observation.

Old 09-07-16, 06:20 AM
J
Thanks pugsl. So since it makes perfect sense that the grease in the joint is hard, I'm thinking there should be a resolution for that. One guy softened it by removing the fitting and soaking inside the joint repeatedly with penetrating oil. Another guy had the same success using brake fluid, followed by repeated greasing. Since these are opposite extremes, which have you had better success with? Thanks!

Old 09-07-16, 06:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Was a mechanic for 35+ years and never tried any of those, Easier to replace ball joints and better fix.

Old 09-07-16, 01:56 PM
Received 18 Votes on 13 Posts
What vehicle is this make/year/model?
How long since last lubrication? time/mileage

It looks like the assembly possibly cracked - a hard pressed grease gun puts out a lot of pressure.

Old 09-07-16, 03:34 PM
J
"One guy softened it by removing the fitting and soaking inside the joint repeatedly with penetrating oil. Another guy had the same success using brake fluid, followed by repeated greasing."

There is a typo in there. The second guy used "brake parts CLEANER". This explains the need for repeated greasing when the clog clears.

pugsl, I'm thinking it can't hurt to try one of the methods, especially since typically on this car the whole control arm gets changed rather than just the lower ball joint. .

2granddaughters, it's a 99 Dodge Stratus. 1 year and 14,000 miles since last grease, which isn't bad. The assembly very well may have cracked in that area. It could have been a weak point.

Old 09-07-16, 04:34 PM
Received 18 Votes on 13 Posts
Old 09-07-16, 06:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Lower is the control arm, Upper are replaceable. Can't hurt to try the lube.

Old 09-07-16, 08:33 PM
J
Yes, I think that will be my approach. I'll shoot some penetrating oil in it over the course of a day. It should help soften the hardened grease. Some people have had success doing that. Thanks for all your help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: