Key Wouldn't Turn ('05 Freestar)

Old 09-10-16, 05:56 PM
Group Moderator
Key Wouldn't Turn ('05 Freestar)

Odd problem tried to turn the ignition key but the ignition wouldn't turn. I had noticed it sticking in the past but a little more pressure on the brake it would turn. More pressure didn't work. I made sure it was in park, turned the key over and reinserted it even though it is double sided but no luck. Finally in desperation I stood my full weight on the brake and the key turned easily.

Now the very weird part. Its been my habit to always put my foot on the break when starting a car. Experimenting when I got home I found I don't even need to press the break to turn the ignition. I am baffled.

2005 Ford Freestar Van

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-16, 06:19 PM
Group Moderator
With most vehicles you only need to press the brake to allow you to shift out of PARK.
Is your car not like that ?

I know one thing that makes a key hard to turn is after you shut the car off the steering wheel turns slightly and cause the lock to bind. Turning the wheel slightly in one direction usually helps that.

Old 09-10-16, 07:33 PM
Group Moderator
I believe I did turn the wheel but I'm not sure. I will take that as the answer for now. Trying to balance so I could put all my weight on the brake pedal I may have turned the wheel hard enough to release it. Thanks. I'll keep this idea in mind if it happens again.

Really never tried shifting out of park with out pressing the brake so can't say for sure if that is needed for this car..

Old 09-11-16, 07:18 AM
Gear shifter will not shift out of P if brake pedal is not pressed. It's safety measure. If it does, you have something broken.
Car will start only in P or N, another safety measure, as this warrants vehicle not jerking forward or back when engine starts.
All of my cars ever owned, besides 2 hybrids I have now, will start by simply either turning the key or pressing Start button on wife's RX350. You can do this opening the door and reaching inside, while standing outside, no brake pedal touched.
In both hybrids, I MUST have foot pressing brake pedal or they won't start.

Far as I know, steering wheel turned and locked should not influence ability to start the engine. You are supposed to have wheels pointing towards curb anyway, when parked in the street, to prevent roll. Hence, you can simply have it properly parked, sit in car, start engine to have HVAC running, without moving steering wheel. If the lock is broken though, you won't be able to TURN the wheel or shift.

Old 09-11-16, 08:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
usually steering wheel is slightly turned when key is turned off. This will put tension on key and will not turn until you turn steering wheel back against tension. You will feel key turn easily than.

Old 09-11-16, 09:26 AM
Group Moderator
Far as I know, steering wheel turned and locked should not influence ability to start the engine.
He didn't have a starting problem with the car. The problem was the key was tight to turn. That is a classic problem when the steering wheel has tension on the lock.

I've experienced it in every vehicle I've ever owned.