2003 Dodge Grand Caravan suddenly won't crank

Old 09-12-16, 02:59 PM
2003 Dodge Grand Caravan suddenly won't crank

3.8L V6. No crank, no click. Battery charged tested and great condition. Able to jump starter relay and start van and drive home, but next day jumping relay cranked engine but no life at all. Hasn't started via jumping relay again. But has occasionally started via key. If it cranks via key, it will start. If turn key to "run" and hear the fuel pump for few seconds, it will crank and start. If you don't hear fuel pump, it will not crank at all, and if jump relay it will crank but not fire at all.

so battery, starter seem fine. when turn key to "start" the starter relay gets power so ignition switch seems fine. The grounding of that power is supposed to go through neutral safety switch and then PCM. Haven't been able to find proper pins for testing neutral safety switch. One post elsewhere said pin 76 of the PCM connector C2. I probed that and it is hot when turn to start in everything except park and neutral, which seems exactly opposite of what I would expect. But i don't think the neutral safety switch would have any effect when I jump starter relay and the engine cranks but doesn't start since I believe the switch is only part of the start circuit and jumping the relay by passes the normal start circuit.

Any ideas? Thinking it could be PCM? Fuel pump issue would not cause engine to not crank would it?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-16, 04:52 PM
1. ignition switch. Yes, I saw your opinion.
But has occasionally started via key. If it cranks via key, it will start. If turn key to "run" and hear the fuel pump for few seconds, it will crank and start.
2. ECM.

Old 09-13-16, 05:53 PM
yes, I wanted to bypass ignition switch to test, but I could not get a wiring diagram. I have noted that the start relay gets switched power on "start" and yet the starter does not crank-will test, then put relay in and try to start, and then test again with relay out. I don't even know where to test for power when turn key to "run"

I know which wire is hot coming into ignition switch. There is also a hot coming into switch that is only 5V. And there are 3 wires with no voltage. When I removed ignition switch to test by continuity, if I probed the 12V hot terminal with one probe and then I found a pin that was continuous when turn to run or start and one that was continuous when turn to start only. I would have then done continuity on car harness from where the start only pin goes to starter relay but my device not long enough and just didn't get a extension wire to test. I think the other 5V and other wire are related to the key in causing dinging but I didn't have enough hands to push in on switch and probe two terminals.

Old 09-13-16, 08:48 PM
Is it a chipped key by any chance? THAT surely might give you trouble.
Any library has Chilton with repair manual for your vehicle.

Or, if you have enough patience.....

Dodge Workshop Manuals > Caravan AWD V6-3.8L VIN L (2003) > Relays and Modules > Relays and Modules - Starting and Charging > Starter Relay > Component Information > Locations

Old 09-13-16, 11:55 PM
No, not chipped key. Didn't even think about library. We have excellent library system so will look into that after browsing the link. thanks for the link.

Search this Thread