Adding electric fans to antique car

Old 09-17-16, 09:45 AM
Adding electric fans to antique car

Hello all,

I have a '71 Pontiac station wagon. A while back I sent my POA to be reconfigured for 134, changed to a parallel flow condenser and added a Pro 6 Ten compressor. The car would run hot (455 bored .60 may be the problem) when the A/C was turned on, but never ran hot otherwise. I would like to change the mechanical fan on the engine to an electric puller fan. I'll make my own shroud. I believe the correct operation of this fan should be that it comes on only when a particular temperature has been reached. I would also like to add a pusher fan in front of the rad/condenser. I believe the operation of this fan should be that it comes on any time the A/C is turned on. This car, of course, has no computer.

Is my assessment of when the how and when the fans should operate correct? I am unaware of how to wire and make this setup operational and would appreciate instruction. Here is a small picture to help visualize my desired physical setup.

Thank you,
Brandon

Name:  29660267171_0178f67379_b.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  17.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-16, 09:58 AM
Group Moderator
I never had good luck with electric fans. I could not get one to move enough air and didn't have enough room for two. I ended up using a flex fan and never had a problem.

We can certainly help you with the wiring of the fans.

Old 09-17-16, 10:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Before I realized it was an issue with unmatched temp sending units I installed a pusher fan on my 51 F1 but I just wired it to a toggle switch. If I was you I'd just go simple and wire the main fan to come on with the ignition and the pusher fan with the AC.

Old 09-17-16, 11:36 AM
Group Moderator
Some of the fans come with a mechanical thermostat.

Old 09-18-16, 01:29 PM
I've gotten a lot of conflicting advice so I'm still up in the air. I definitely want a puller fan and since a big part of my problem is cooling at idle, I believe a pusher fan on the intake side of the condenser would be a good idea, but I'm also considering if a pusher fan would be necessary. I'm also trying to determine if one large puller fan or two smaller (but large) fans would be best. It seems that the less moving parts the better for longevity.

Thanks for the replies.

Brandon

Old 09-18-16, 02:02 PM
Is your radiator the correct size and working properly?
Water pump not rotted away internally?

I had a new 1970 Bonneville 455 that would idle for hours with the air running ....

I would think that if the rad/water pump/thermostat/original fan & shroud were in good condition you'd be good to go

Search this Thread