Mazda 6 is putting out high voltage

Old 10-08-16, 04:31 PM
Exclamation Mazda 6 is putting out high voltage

I have a 2004 Mazda 6, 4 cyl. 2.3 L that is putting out about 24 volts when the car is running. When the engine is off, the battery goes completely dead. When I have it running my wipers come on by themself and my car will not change gears and sticks in high gear (automatic transmission). I can also smell something burning inside and sizzling. I don't know if the alternator is bad or if there is a short somewhere. The volage light also comes on.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-16, 07:08 PM
Group Moderator
First off.... DO NOT run the car like that. The higher voltages can destroy expensive electronics.

If the battery is dead.... that is your primary problem. You need to get the battery checked first.
Most alternators should run and maintain 13.8vdc but the Mazda alternator may need to see a working battery to help it regulate.

The strange thing is if the battery is dead like you stated... how did you start the car ?

Old 10-08-16, 07:31 PM
I jump started it with my wife's car. It won't start without jumping it. Once it's running, it will stay running.

Old 10-08-16, 07:39 PM
Group Moderator
Gotcha. So the first thing to do is check the battery.

Old 10-09-16, 06:28 PM
the diodes are bad in the alternator.

Old 10-09-16, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator
I was thinking diodes as well. You'd need a true RMS voltmeter I believe? Not an item everyone owns or has access to.

Old 10-14-16, 03:08 PM
Ok, took the battery to Walmart to have it tested and it was bad, so they replaced it for free because it was still under the warranty. I put the battery in and it is still putting out high voltage. What should I try next? How do you test the alternator?

Old 10-14-16, 03:30 PM
Group Moderator
Then your alternator is also bad.
It was probably bad before the battery died and from the high voltage... cooked the battery.

Some chain auto parts stores could probably check it but if it's putting out higher voltage now... it's bad. Your alternator is listed as containing integral regulator. There are different models for auto trans or manual trans.

A voltmeter set to DC volts should read approx 13.8 VDC when running.
That same voltmeter set to AC volts should read under 1 VAC.

Old 10-14-16, 03:45 PM
Thanks, I was looking at some you tube videos on how to remove the alternator from a Mazda 6. All I can say is, WOW.