2008 Kia Sedona: tps change

Old 10-31-16, 05:58 AM
2008 Kia Sedona: tps change

I recently had a problem with my 2008 Kia Sedona with about 53000 miles. I tracked the problem down with a Harbor Freight engine analyzer and found it to be caused by a defective TPS ( throttle position sensor ). The local dealership told me it would cost about $285 to replace a $29 part. They said that included the necessary computer update when installing this part. I bought the sensor from them and installed it myself in about 30 minutes. So far I have had no problems with my installation without the computer update. This is after approximately 100 miles of driving.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-16, 07:17 AM
Group Moderator
If you're not getting any codes and the car is running okay, I wouldn't lose any sleep over an update. I'm guessing the R&R on the part was pretty fast and easy? Even allowing an hour for labor, $285 would be an awful lot of $$$. Would be something in the $100+ range just for hooking up to their scanner and updating your software.

Side note: Used to live in Havelock (retired Marine).

Old 10-31-16, 08:43 AM
Group Moderator
I bought a new car this summer and picked it up at the factory in Spartanburg. Within a week there was a software update available for it. It's a minor thing not worthy of a trip to the dealer but whenever they or I check the VIN for my vehicle it comes up saying it needs a software update.

Old 10-31-16, 05:36 PM
Group Moderator
Kind of like Windows "critical" updates. Some of the ones I saw lately and ignored were things like language packs for Lithuanian and such. Really?

Old 11-28-16, 05:24 AM
2008 Kia Sedona heater flap motor problem

I am the guy who posted the TPS change I recently did with no computer updates. My Sedona runs fine and I save myself a lot of money not going to a dealership.
I have had another problem I ignored for some time in that my dashboard control of the heater flap motor did not work. It stayed on heater and vent mode all the time. I probably caused it by not turning the unit off all summer for AC cooling. I got the motor out without removing the dash board and checked it out. Turns out that the motor was just stuck. Took the little black box apart to get at the motor and turned it a couple of times. Applied 12 volts to the motor and it worked fine. Reinstalled it and it works well. What a job of getting the cam mechanism lined up with the 3 duct flaps. This was all done under the driver side dash. According to what I read the dealer would have cost me a $1000 bucks for this job.