Water leaking into cabin - 2008 Infinit G35X 150k miles

Old 11-01-16, 06:54 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water leaking into cabin - 2008 Infinit G35X 150k miles

Background: Brought car to dealer a few months ago for an electrical malfunction, turned out there was a seam that was split which allowed water to pool on the BCM box, and eventually leak into the box and corroding the BCM. Dealer applied epoxy & silicone to repair the seam, then replaced the BCM. The passenger front cabin area was also wet, under the mat, from this same leak.

shortly after getting car back for above repair, I noticed a really musty odor, more pronounced after it rained. Thinking the water leak was really never fixed properly, I checked the passenger front floor mat - very wet underneath. Then noticed the driver side front also wet.

Brought car back to dealer on the 14th, and after a week and a half of them hosing down car and putting it through their car wash, they tell me the sunroof drains were causing the leak. ??? Really? I admit I am a skeptical person by nature (I'm an accountant, former auditor) but I find this hard to believe. He said it's now fixed, so I asked how he fixed it, and he said they cleaned out the drain tubes, which were clogged with dirt and debris. Is this possible? Is it just a coincidence that this was happening right after the dealer fixed the other water leak, which happened to be leaking into the cabin?

So they were going to dry the car out, had fans running since Friday, and car should be ready today. They also said there were no micro-organisms (mold) from all the water, so once they dry it all should be fine. How do they know this for sure??? I would think water sitting under the carpet, dark, cold, would be the perfect conditions to breed bacteria.

So other than the bacteria growth concern, I am concerned of what they are going to charge me for the week and a half that they spent trying to find the leak.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-16, 06:49 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
It's very possible your sunroof is causing your wet floors. The sunroof module has a drain in each corner with tubing that extends down inside the pillars and dumps behind the fenders. When not clogged with dirt, pollen, leaf debris, etc they're capable of flowing a lot of water. If plugged up that water backs up and can find its way into the footwells. If there's no exit at all it can overflow the sunroof pan and soak your headliner.

If the car is dry and stays dry you probably won't need to do anything about the dead or dormant mold spores.

Old 11-21-16, 08:02 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, after 4 weeks the dealer said car was ready, but paperwork wasn't ready. I picked car up, no paperwork, and they said "no charge". While this was a HUGE relief, as I was anticipating hours upon hours of diagnostic charges, I am now skeptical as to why they didn't charge me anything. Had the car back almost a week, the "cleaning solution" odor starting to fade, and I haven't noticed a musty odor, and we did have rain the other night, so hoping this is the end of it.