Synthetic blend versus conventional motor oil

Old 11-23-16, 12:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Synthetic blend versus conventional motor oil

I've always used synthetic blend motor oil in my jeep. Last oil change they didn't have any in stock so I used conventional oil. My 2010 jeep has 61k with no oil leaks and has never used oil previously. When I changed the oil it was a quart down ?? [3500 mile/ 5 month] Could switching from synthetic blend to conventional cause that?

They only had 3 qts of synthetic blend this time so I bought those 3 along with 3 qts of hi mileage. I assume it's ok to mix the two. Hi mileage oils always state for engines with 75k or more. Is there any harm in using it early? They always have the hi mileage in stock.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-16, 02:29 PM
No. Conventional oil is lmore viscous than synthetic or blend. I actually recommend switching from synth to conventional and heavier weight on oil takers. Hence, it should be "lost" at slower rate than slicker synth oil.
Is 3500 miles what your manual says to do oil at? Awfully short period of time for 2010 vehicle.
You can mix oils sidewise and crosswise. No harm.

Old 11-24-16, 02:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The manual says to change the oil every 6k unless you fall under severe driving then every 3500. I seldom get on the interstate and have a lot of short or stop/go runs so I fall under the latter .... plus I'm kind of old school - hard to teach an old dog new tricks, I changed the oil in my first few vehicles every 2k.

I am concerned about the jeep being a quart low, it's never used any oil before and at only 61k it shouldn't be staring now! My wife's merc has 196k and only uses a 1/2 qt between changes and she drives a LOT harder than I do.

Old 11-24-16, 03:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Glad I got this information. On a whim, I was planning on switching my Cummins diesel to synthetic oil next oil change, but since it is a slight high mileage engine (476,000), and synthetic is less viscous, I think I'll stick with conventional. It doesn't use oil and doesn't leak (I abhor leaks).

Old 11-24-16, 05:08 AM
Synthetic oil has significant advantages over conventional (mineral) oil. Stay with it and use a high quality filter. High mileage oil is a gimmick and changing oil regularly will keep your engine fine. If you want to switch to high mileage oil, wait 100,000 more miles.

Old 11-24-16, 05:41 AM
"Synthetic oil has significant advantages over conventional (mineral) oil."

I've driven for nearly 60 yrs and always used conventional oil.
Every vehicle I've owned came from the factory with conventional oil in it and none have recommended synthetic.
I have driven for countless hundreds of thousands of miles and never had an oil related failure.
I change my own oil at the recommended interval and seldom spend more than a few dollars to do it. (conventional oil on sale and NAPA proselect filter).

I don't see where synthetic can offer me any "advantage" ?? ....

synthetic oil was used in aviation for high temp/high heat/high pressure turbo charged/super charged aircraft engines ..... marketing brought it to the automobile (where it really isn't necessary)
synthetic motor oil historical overview

I'm not saying that synthetics aren't great oils - I'm just saying that following the OLM (oil life monitor) they are not required. They just cost more money and don't save me any money. (poor value)

Ah, some might say that I need synthetic when it gets to 35 below zero outside -
When it gets that cold I just stay in until it warms up.

I live in Ontario Canada and never had a car fail to start because of "too cold" on conventional oil.

Old 11-24-16, 05:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you want to switch to high mileage oil, wait 100,000 more miles.
With my wife's car I used conventional oil until it hit 100k and then switched to hi mileage. I've always run the synthetic blend in my jeep but lately it's getting hard to find. The hi mileage is also a synthetic blend and it's always in stock. Anyone know what the difference is between the regular synthetic blend and the hi mileage?

Old 11-24-16, 06:39 AM
Well, Amazon is always available, right? I start buying more and more off it.
I understand your desire to enrich oil companies, this is very commendable and patriotic, but 3000 miles is silly and you are not in harsh conditions.
Your "3000 mile" justifier mind simply reads instructions the way it wants to read it and you follow. Harsh conditions will be you driving out in the desert, ice and snow all the time, off roading with engine at non stop high revs and load. City driving from an old timer by no means is "harsh".
Seriously...

Start adding Lucas oil additive to your oil changes. Maybe half a qrt. I had excellent success with it.
In my case, Toyota considers 1 qrt in 1200 miles loss normal. I just had new pistons and bearings dropped into my Camry under "voluntary warranty extension" as they did oil consumption test on that engine and she failed. of course, I drove like lunatic for those 1200 miles (much fun!) but now oil level sits at original mark like glued to it.
Reason was, pistons have small holes that got plugged, causing carbon build up on rings causing blow by oil burn out. Just a thought for your car. There are ways to unclogg them on the engine.
Out of curiosity... None of my B of course. Why would you buy a Jeep for city driving?

Old 11-24-16, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator
I use mobile one high milage full synthetic oil. I got out of the old dog new trick think long ago.

I go upwards of 7500 - 10000 miles before oil changes.

Castrol says less phospourous for emmissions..

GTX High Mileage Part Synthetic Engine Oil | Semi Synthetic Oil, Semi Synthetic Motor Oil | Motor Oil, Engine Oil | Castrol - Motor Oil, Engine Oils, Full Synthetic Oil, Transmission Fluid and Lubricants

I use this. I have no sludge in my motor @ 82000 miles and oil stays clean till I change it. It doesnt really get dark like conventional.

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/m...1-high-mileage

Old 11-24-16, 07:14 AM
Synthetic oil provides superior lubrication over mineral oil and that's indisputable. All you need do is compare viscosity indices. Beyond that, oxidation and sludge control are inherently superior. Now, that's not to say mineral oil will not provide protection because it will. But, since lubrication is the reason you have oil, why not use the better lubricant.

Old 11-24-16, 07:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Why would you buy a Jeep for city driving?
It's not for city driving, I bought it to go up/down my driveway in inclement weather. There isn't much room for parking at the bottom and besides I'm too old to walk up/down my long steep winding driveway. I do prefer driving the jeep to my wife's car as it's easier to get in/out of and easier on my back. Most of the jeep's miles are to/from town.

Shortly after I bought the jeep the dealer had a service dept get acquainted party. They claimed it was normal for the engine to use a quart every 3000 miles and if you went with the manufacture's recommendation of 6000 miles the engine would be 2 qts low and get damaged Worst sales talk I've ever heard!! This was the first time my jeep had ever been low on oil.

Old 11-24-16, 07:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Synthetic oil provides superior lubrication over mineral oil
That's the main reason I've used the synthetic blend in my jeep [full synthetic is too pricey] Like most modern day engines it calls for a light weight oil [5w20] I still run conventional oil in my old pick up and tractor - 20w50 weight.

Old 11-24-16, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator
I've always used synthetic blend motor oil in my jeep. Last oil change they didn't have any in stock so I used conventional oil.
Is there only one auto store in your town? I would have waited and found the oil I always use..Walmart?

My truck takes 6 quarts and BJ's warehouse club always has 6 packs cheap. 28 bucks for 6 quarts. I buy my allotted 4 cases when this cheap.

Wifes nissan gets it too....

Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Synthetic Motor Oil, 1 Qt., 6 pk. - BJ's Wholesale Club

Old 11-24-16, 07:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
While I haven't checked all the local auto parts stores, AutoZone is the only one that I've been in that carries the synthetic blend on a regular basis [and now it's getting spotty] Our local walmart never has it.

I've never seen mobil1 that cheap around here, as far as I know we don't have a BJs. I pay about $32 for 6 qts with filter when it's on sale.

Old 11-24-16, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator
it calls for a light weight oil [5w20]
My buddy has a jeep and runs mobile one super syn..5/20.... 29 bucks at BJ's. He tows with the jeep and radiator temps get up to the 230F range at times..

Mobil 5W20 Super Synthetic Motor Oil, 1 Qt., 6 pk. - BJ's Wholesale Club

Name:  IMG_1916.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  50.4 KB

Old 11-24-16, 09:39 AM
Yeah, so you are no harsh conditions.
1 qrt per 3000 miles is very good. No one said to let it keep running out of oil, right? You simply check level and add some.
But this is why synthetic oils, due to cost involved, are no feasible for engines that take oil. My guideline is very simple. Takes oil - conventional. Does not take oil - synthetic.
If I were you, Marksr, I'd switch to 10W30 conventional. I am very partial to Quaker State oils in conventional realm. That comes from my driving 1200 miles a week times and oil changes done every 4 weeks. QS simply lasted longest. Then I found about synthetics and so on.

Ahemm, not to stir the pot.. If you want NON oil taking engine, go for Toyota 3.0 or 3.5 L engines. They simply do not take oil. Very tight. I did 17 000 mile oil changes on one of them and oil was still only mild caramel in color. Well, of course, that was Amsoil...

Old 11-24-16, 10:35 AM
It's my opinion that ALL ENGINES BURN OIL.

I know lots of people who claim that their engine doesn't burn anything but; a 4 cycle internal combustion engine is designed to leave a thin coat of oil on the cylinder walls with every stroke.

And that thin film, being as it's inside the combustion chamber, is sacrificed during the combustion cycle (or most of it) and it's replaced with a small amount of the water that's a product of combustion. Over time, that water is emulsified with the oil in the oil pan, and slowly turns the oil brown. Ideally, there's a balance between the amount of oil being burned and the amount of water being added.; so we don't even notice.

We change our oil because it degrades over time as water replaces the burnt oil, and in so doing, it loses its lubricating properties.

That's just my opinion. As an experiment, I once put a quart of my used motor oil (used for 5000 miles) in a sealed glass jar and set it aside for a few weeks allowing it to stratify . . . . and over time, nearly over a " of dirty water appeared at the bottom of the jar. I think that was water from combustion.

Last edited by Vermont; 11-24-16 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-25-16, 05:38 AM
You don't state if you ever checked the oil level after the last oil change to verify it was full or down a quart. Maybe the mechanic missed a quart and your discovery has nothing to do with a switch to synthetic blend. Just a thought.

Old 11-25-16, 12:19 PM
Right now Walmart is selling 5 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum (a good full synthetic oil) for $19.97. Pennzoil is giving a $2 / quart rebate til year-end. That's $10 off or $9.97 for 5 quarts. At that price is doesn't pay to use conventional.

Old 11-25-16, 12:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The thing that concerns me is this engine has never used a detectable amount of oil. I bought it new, change the oil regularly, checking the level after and before each oil change and occasionally in between. I expect to know in the next 2-3 thousand miles if the oil use was an anomaly or a change in engine wear.

While there are a lot of little things I don't care much for on my jeep, I don't intend to change vehicles. It's the best 4x4 I've ever had! The only one that came close was a 1969 Bronco with posi - front and back ...... and it got stuck several times going up my driveway in the snow/ice while this jeep [with traction control] has only gotten stuck once. The jeep is also more comfortable and easier to drive!

Old 11-25-16, 01:44 PM
I know you're concerned but you're probably better off putting it aside and having some turkey-ala-king. There could be a variety of reasons you were down a quart, including underfilling.

Stick with the full synthetic or a synthetic blend (which I don't like) and make certain you're using a quality filter.

Worst case, you have to add 1/2 quart between oil changes - you and a million other guys.

Old 11-25-16, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah I dont know why anyone runs a syn blend...Un-decisive?

I only run reg oil in the 96 s10 cause it burns a quart in 2000 miles. I run it at 5000k oil changes... It would cost a small fortune...

Old 11-26-16, 02:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
why anyone runs a syn blend
price! synthetic is just a little higher than conventional, full synthetic is a good bit more.

Old 11-26-16, 03:18 AM
Mark see my earlier post. With the $2/quart rebate, Pennzoil Premium is only $9.97 for 5 quarts at Walmart. That's $2 per gallon or about 1/2 the price of milk.

Old 11-26-16, 03:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Our local walmart doesn't stock pennzoil platinum. Usually the best pricing locally is at autozone provided you catch it on sale. I normally use valvoline.

Old 11-26-16, 03:42 AM
Originally Posted by Tony P.
". . . That's $2 per gallon or about 1/2 the price of milk . . ."
At $2 per gallon, even I would switch from conventional; but I think you mean $2 per quart.

Old 11-26-16, 04:46 AM
I did indeed. That's what I get for mixing milk and oil.

Old 11-26-16, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator
Keep us updated as its interesting what the final outcome will be regarding oil usage..

Old 11-26-16, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator
man I been reading about oil consumption in the 2010 jeeps... Jeep states 1 qt per 1000 miles is a normal occurrence .. WTF???

Ive read check the PCV valve.. That causes consumption..

next I read intake manifold gasket leak can be cause... Replace plenum gasket.. There is a service bulletin..

What motor in that jeep again???

Lots of hits come up on jeeps and oil consumption... sheesh...

Old 11-26-16, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator
Leaking rear intake on the 3.8... youll never see it unless the engine is out...

Dont mean to be doom and gloom...

Spun main bearings also problematical on 3.8's

Old 11-27-16, 03:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It has the 3.8 engine which is supposed to be better than it's predecessor the 3.7 I was aware of a lot of the issues with the 3.7, in fact I've got a Liberty with a 3.7 sitting in front of my shop that keeps throwing a rocker arm off. I'll have to tear back into it again when I get time.

The exterior of my engine appears to be clean albeit dusty. There has never been any noticeable oil consumption previously and I do intend to keep an eye on it. I'll be checking the oil level more often until I'm convinced it was a one time event. Chrysler does a lot of things with the Jeep I'm not crazy about but they do build some of the best stock 4x4s.

Old 11-27-16, 04:37 AM
Blended oils are classified as type Group III lubricants, pure synthetic oils are referenced as Type IV lubricant.

Blended motor oils contain 2-10% of the Type IV olefins so I would propose the greatest benefit goes to the companies bottom line.

Nothing wrong with any of the oils but all you need is the grade, viscosity, and change interval of oil that is listed in the owner's manual, regardless of what your Uncle (fill in the blank) uses in his car.

Old 11-27-16, 06:59 AM
MArksr, your eyes saw what your hands bought. It's a Jeep. You and I go for years, so I'll take liberty and say - you bought something that is practically a direct opposite to Toyota - tops bottoms of any reliability charts for years. Expectations should be according. Jeep and Dodge STATISTICALLY is a make that you rid off 5 000 miles before warranty expires.
STATISTICALLY! Please, spare me "mine is" wisdoms.
There are many ways engine will take oil. Crud build up, loose rings, worn out cylinder walls, high tolerances build, sloppy build, internal seals going bad. So oil either burns inside CCs or goes out with exhaust and, killing your cats on its way, down the drain pipe.
Stick you finger into exhaust tip. Is it sooty? There's your answer. On my Toyotas you stick it there all you want to - it's clean metal.

Old 11-27-16, 09:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
What confuses me is the oil consumption during one oil change cycle. It wasn't down even a fraction of a quart at the previous oil change. Hard to believe it would all of a sudden be a quart down with no advance warning. Hopefully it's a one time event, I should know within a month or three.

My engine runs clean, while the exhaust isn't shiny metal, there isn't any soot build up.
I know other manufactures have better engines but I doubt they have 4 wheel drive better suited for my driveway .... and that's the main reason I bought it.

Search this Thread