2000 Impala drivers window fell down.

Old 11-26-16, 11:57 AM
2000 Impala drivers window fell down.

The drivers window on my 2000 Impala fell down the other day when I was driving to work. It won't go up or down with motor but I can pull it up by hand and it will fall back down. It is a power window and doesn't look like it is off the track. I have removed the interior door panel and I am looking to repair it. There don't seem to be any broken parts in the bottom of the door. Can it be the motor that has just failed? What is the most likely thing that I should look for? If it is the motor, can a bad motor allow the window to just freely go up and down by hand? I would like to fix it this weekend if possible. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-16, 12:04 PM
addition to original question

Is there a regulator and a motor that can be bought seperately? Is it likely to be one or the other? How do I decide which is actually bad?

Old 11-26-16, 12:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
When you pull the window up does it come out of the track? Is there any movement or sound from the motor?

Old 11-26-16, 12:15 PM
no it doesn't come out of the track? I don't remember hearing any noise but can check this again.

Old 11-26-16, 12:21 PM
ok, I checked and don't hear any noise coming from the motor when I move it up/down by hand. The one thing that I can ad is that when pushing on the bottom of the glass inside the door panel I can't get the window to go up the last about 1/2 inch. Hope this helps

Old 11-26-16, 12:44 PM
buy just motor or whole slide assembly?

It looks like I could buy the whole unit of the motor, regulator, and what looks like the slide mechanism that connects to the window. Do I need to buy the whole assembly or just the bad part such as motor?

Old 11-26-16, 01:26 PM
Well, if motor makes no noise it's kaput. Surprised it made that far, I had to replace regulators 3 times on my 2000 Silverado.
You can get motor separate but it is likely riveted to the regulator frame itself. Folks do drill them out and install new motor with bolts, but why? Regulators are inexpensive, why bother.
On my Silverado it was about 15 minute job. Door panel was very easy to remove, undo 4 bolts holding regulator in place, secure glass to the frame with masking tape so that it does not fall down, undo "hooks" holding regulator to the door frame, reach inside and fold regulator into fist fitting wand, work it out, install new one.
Yours should not be much more complicated, Chevy is not really known for going off mainstream design on its models.
But! Before you go anywhere, make sure you have 12V at the motor plug and that switch operates normally. Also, before install, plug new regulator in and make sure it works. Easiset do this is simply pop windows control out of door panel and have it connected, instead of hassling with entire panel.

Old 11-26-16, 02:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Like ukrbyk said - make sure you have current at the switch and the motor when the switch is on!

When I said 'does the motor make any noise' I meant when the switch was engaged.

Old 11-26-16, 02:41 PM
I will check the switch tomorrow and I will check to make sure that I have voltage at the motor and wether it runs or not. In the mean time, let me ask this...if it was the switch the window wouldn't just fall down on it's own would it? I mean it normally stays up until the switch is pushed. Seems like something mechanical has to not be holding the window up and allowing it to go into free fall. Thoughts on that?

Old 11-26-16, 02:58 PM
Group Moderator
You have a problem with the cable drive. Order the complete motor and regulator assembly.
You DO NOT want to mess with a cable drive setup... trust me.

Old 11-26-16, 04:16 PM
Yes, it is something mechanical but problems tend to go in pairs. So it never hurts to make sure that power is where it needs to and new part actually works.
7 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wBMPWCl1w8

Old 11-27-16, 07:30 AM
hooked switch back up and motor sounds like it is running?? what now

I reconnected the switches while the door panel is still off and the motor does seem to be running. with the window untaped and me holding it about 1/2 way down I can press the button for window to go up or down and the motor sounds like it runs. However, it only runs for maybe about 10-15 seconds and then sounds like it is getting bogged down or as if window was at end of travel, which it actually is not, and is stopping. What kind of suggestions do you guys have now? I wish I understood better what it is that actually, mechanically, drives the window up and down. Still struggling to understand why glass free falls? Any way to explain mechanical operation of this? Is it just gear driven and a gear could be stripped. I will defer to you guys who actually know what you are doing. LOL! Thanks

Old 11-27-16, 08:10 AM
Ok, I have removed the motor/regulator assembly and it is broken. I am going to go and get a whole new assembly as was recommended. Thanks so much for your help, it is always appreciated.

Old 11-27-16, 10:10 AM
Group Moderator
That's a pretty good video. I change those parts on GMC and Chevy SVU's all the time. It's an easy job after you do the first one. Those cable drive units are a constant source of trouble.

Old 11-27-16, 02:27 PM
His actually did quite well. As I said, I replaced them 3 times on Silverado, starting at 50 000 miles.
kmeyer, do NOT buy expensive regulators. Buy the cheap one. As easy as it is to replace, it will last about a year or two, so you get good money worth back. As encouragement, ask dealer how much THEY want for the job.

Old 11-27-16, 02:46 PM
Group Moderator
make sure you have current at the switch and the motor when the switch is on!
Why would you measure current?

Old 11-28-16, 04:45 PM
Job done, windodw working great. thanks

Went to Advanced and got whole assembly, replaced with no problem, window working great. Good learning experience. Much easier than I thought. Also understand how it works now too. Thanks again.

Old 11-29-16, 02:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it fixed

Most repairs are fairly simple once you learn how it's done That is the neat thing about these forums - we can get advice from those that know instead of muddling through it on our own.

Search this Thread