1997 Toyota Camry- heat not working

Old 12-05-16, 12:07 PM
1997 Toyota Camry- heat not working

1997 Toyota Camry 4-Door Sedan Automatic LE

I turned on the heater after months of Texas heat and to my surprise it's just blowing air, no heat. It's never had this problem before and the A/C is working just fine. There are no issue with over heating, the car is running excellent other than this heat issue now. I am handy and would first like to check into the issue myself before I decide to take it to a shop. What are the common suspects that I should first address?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-16, 12:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like the blend door isn't opening/closing. It directs the heat from the heater core into the cab. On the older vehicles there was a rod that operated the door. I think most newer cars do it electronically.

Old 12-05-16, 12:22 PM
A colleague was saying the same thing but it has a dial knob. What do you think? Or how can I access the blend door, where is it located?

Name:  P3130006.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  40.0 KB

Old 12-05-16, 12:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know about your particular car but usually under the dash you'll see some duct work, the blend door is often under/behind the glove box. It's part of the housing for the heater core. I would expect a dial knob to be electronic. The old ones with a rod had a lever you moved.

Some of the members and at least one moderator own camrys so hopefully they'll chime in shortly with better info for you.

Old 12-05-16, 12:27 PM
Group Moderator
Go under the hood and look for the two small rubber heater hoses. They'll connect from the engine to the firewall on the passenger side. See if there's a valve in one of them and see if both hoses get hot.

Old 12-05-16, 04:57 PM
Drove for about 30min, the hoses didn't get hot, they are cold to cool - normal temps. And yes one has a valve.

@marksr
I can see the heater core behind the glove box but I still can't see the blend door.

Old 12-05-16, 08:01 PM
1. open valve to heater core
2. if this didn't help, you have air lock somewhere preventing hot coolant from going into heater core.
3. CHECK COOLANT LEVEL. If it's too low, you will have no heat in hater core

Old 12-05-16, 11:55 PM
I have been googling for heater core valve location....can you give me an idea where to find it?
My colleague also suggested I might have a bad thermostat that's possibly stuck...how can I establish this?

Old 12-06-16, 12:18 AM
Group Moderator
A stuck thermostat would usually cause the car to overheat. You should still get normal hot water flow to the core when the stat is closed.

You previously said "one has a valve". Did you see it and now it's gone ?

The valve will be between the engine and the firewall on one of the heater core hoses. Based on the engine size.... you may or may not have a valve. It may look like in the picture below. With or without a valve.... both lines should be red hot.

Name:  valve.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  4.2 KB

Old 12-06-16, 02:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the car has a fail safe thermostat, when it fails it's the same as having no thermostat and the engine will be slow to reach operating temps but will put out heat once the engine gets warm. Coolant should always be flowing thru the heater core once the thermostat opens. When the blend door is shut the heat doesn't enter the cab, when open it allows the heat out of the heater core's compartment. The blend door is part of that compartment but is inside the ductwork leading to the interior vents.