2003 Malibu intermittent no crank

Old 12-14-16, 07:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2003 Malibu intermittent no crank

I have a 2003 Malibu, 170k, v6, 3.1, auto. I have an intermittent no crank issue - no sound or anything from starter/solenoid. A tester on the solenoid shows no power getting to the solenoid when I turn the key and this happens. Background - This past summer I replaced the ignition (key cylinder) because of the unintended key rotation problem GM's have - note, when I did this I did NOT have to reset the passkey system - I was trying to reset it but when I turned the key the car started right up and has started until this happened. This is a very BASE model so maybe it doesn't have Passkey?. Also, for years we've had to wiggle the gear shifter when putting it into park or else the key would be stuck and the car would still think it was in gear/on. When this intermittent problem happens no amount of moving the shifter will get it to work and it won't start in Neutral. I have already replaced the battery (it was 8 years old and needed a new one anyway. Finally, at the same time I noticed how the interior fan control switch now only works in full on - no other setting gets the interior fan to go (no 1, 2, 3, ...). If I run a hot wire direct from battery to the solenoid I can get it to start.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-16, 07:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 31 Posts
I think being able to start previously while wiggling shifter is a clue. I would suspect the neutral safety switch or at least eliminate that as a possibility before going further. Here' some info:

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...-safety-switch

Old 12-14-16, 08:00 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Finally, at the same time I noticed how the interior fan control switch now only works in full on - no other setting gets the interior fan to go (no 1, 2, 3, ...)
That sounds like the resistor on the blower motor.

Old 12-14-16, 08:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 27 Posts
Fan speed will not have anything to do with no start. Check neutral safety switch first.

Old 12-14-16, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have instructions on how to test the neutral safety switch or is it one of those things that you just bite the bullet on and replace and hope that it was the problem? And isn't the shift interlock device (not being able to turn it off and remove the key while still in gear) a separate system from the neutral safety switch? Finally, concerning the GM Passkey system, would the car crank but not start if you had the wrong key or would it just not crank - because it is weird how I never had to reset it after changing the key/key cylinder?

Old 12-14-16, 10:48 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...utf-8&oe=utf-8

You should have some sort of info display in your car. If key is not recognized by BCM - body control module - there will be some sort of warning, either yellow light flashing or "Key" word, or both. BCM will tell you.
My first guess is - it's ignition lock. I get it it was replaced. That's why it IS my first guess. As you get no power to starter.

Old 12-14-16, 12:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 27 Posts
To check switch you have to take a continuity check. Switch may have more wires on it than just neutral safety wires. Should have continuity in park. Does the back up lights work in reverse? Switch may just need adjustment.

Old 12-14-16, 05:50 PM
Received 17 Votes on 10 Posts
I owned a 1999 Malibu, which is also a 5th gen Malibu. I can tell you that the blower working only on high was a common issue, it is indeed the blower motor resistor. Shouldn't be related to a start/no start, unless it's a symptom of some greater electrical gremlin that fried many things. But I doubt that.

I also had the issues with the gear shifter not finding park, usually it just pushed past it slightly. Once it did seat itself, though, it always started.

I don't believe you should have PassKey on that car, it should be PassLock. The difference is, PassKey relies on a resistor in the key (looks like a little black chip, or a marking on the key like "PK2" or "PK3"), whereas PassLock is all based on a hall-effect sensor around the ignition cylinder. PassLock is more-or-less designed to make sure that there's a key turning the cylinder, vs. the car being hot-wired. If you had PassKey, it would have had to be reprogrammed to work with your key. PassLock does a more passive relearn process.

A security system fault in those cars should, as others said, set a code on the BCM. A reputable shop should have the equipment to scan and pull any codes. Codes on the BCM may NOT show up with your run-of-the-mill OBDII scanner from the parts store. I know my BCM PassLock error codes (on a different car) didn't.

My car that had the issues had a PassLock I system, though I believe PassLock II functions very similarly in that when you turn the key, it relies on a series of voltage changes to verify whether or not ignition tampering is taking place. If it believes there's a tamper, it a) causes the THEFT or SECURITY light to blink, and b) disengages the fuel injectors. In my case, it was manifested by crank, start, and immediately stall. Or, if it locked itself out, crank with no start. But in all cases, it cranked.

Not trying to be a smarty-pants, but since the part has been replaced, are you sure that the connector on the ignition switch was reinstalled securely, and is still secure?

Do you get any notifications or lights on the dash, like "THEFT SYSTEM?"