Chrysler 300 Transmission Oil Change

Old 12-06-16, 02:03 PM
W
Received 42 Upvotes on 38 Posts

I posted a thread earlier concerning my surprise to find that there was no dip stick for my Chrysler 300 (2007 99000 miles) Transmission. Reading up, I find that it requires a special temperature monitoring tool to add the right amount of fluid for this change procedure. I took it to my regular service center, and they referred me to their choice for situations A transmission shop) like this. The tech there said I missed the window 50000 to 75000 miles to safely change the fluid without giving the trans a "heart attack" The tech said if it were his car he would just leave it alone. I have a philosophy most times that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but that usually doesn't apply to fluid changes. Do you guys agree that leaving this trans alone is the best course of action?

Old 12-06-16, 03:51 PM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
I would go to an authorized Chrysler dealership and ask the service department if there is any downside for them to do a transmission fluid change on your car. Would be surprised if they said there were any. Good luck.

Old 12-08-16, 01:34 PM
W
Transmission Oil Change

After your post, I called a dealer. You were right about his response. I questioned him about whether he was going to drop the Trans Pan, or use the transfusion machine to exchange the oil. The dealer rep indicated they would drop the pan. In the old days, I can remember being shown a wad of goop stuck to the bottom of the pan and being told that was my trans coming apart, and that I needed a new one. I didn't bite then fortuneately, and further research taught me that the "goop" was a natural wear process of the clutches doing their job. Is that still the case with newer transmissions? What are pirates in the trans repair business using today as bait?

A retired friend in the business used to always change my trannies with the transfusion method, but I admit I got to them sooner then this one, my bad.

Old 12-08-16, 03:45 PM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Look at the video at the website below. It should help in your decision making.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o690DovjDAc

Old 12-11-16, 09:30 AM
W
Transmission Oil Change

The Video was Great, and explained a lot I didn't know. Now I just need to find out the condition of the oil before I go to the dealer (condition of a Chrysler 300 V6) with no dipstick. Happen to have video on that ?

Thanks!!!

Old 12-13-16, 04:10 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You the original owner? Have a lifetime powertrain warranty? Then take it to the dealer because they require a once in 5 years inspection of engine/transmission as part of the warranty. If you bought it used and it runs fine, I'd leave it alone.

Old 12-13-16, 07:09 PM
W

I am the original owner, and I do not have a lifetime drivetrain warranty. I should have had it changed myself, no doubt about it. I have 4 vehicles and the wife drives this one, and she never stops long enough for me to even change the engine oil when its cool. I will take it to the dealer, but I still would like to know what condition the oil is in beforehand, if anyone has a trick for doing it on this transmission.

Thanks!

Old 12-14-16, 04:08 AM
M
strange

My Liberty is of the 2008 vintage and it came with the warranty. I believe you have a 42RLE transaxle in the 300, just like my Jeep. Want to just look at the fluid? A long piece of wire rope will do just fine as a one time dipstick.

Old 12-16-16, 11:52 AM
N
Some Chrysler cars might inherit some Mercedes design/feature during the merge of the two companies. Mercedes cars don't come with trans dip stick because their belief was when the dip stick's use only once or twice, why have it?
Assuming the fluid level in your Chrysler is to specs, if there's a drain plug, drain the old fluid, and put in about the same amount of new fluid. Do it with a clean oil pan. That's what I did for my old MB. MB cars are very strict with trans fluid level as the $60 dip stick got a mark for only 1cm hi-lo range at 80 degrees C.

Old 12-18-16, 06:16 AM
W
Chrysler Transmission Oil Change

The last transmission change I did myself was on a Chevy Cavalier in 1992. It had no drain plug, had to drop the pan to change it and the filter. I have two questions. Does anyone know if this 2007 Chrysler Trans has a drain plug? I get that you can't change the filter this way, but for this purpose it might be the best plan. Also the filltube is up above the intake manifold cover, and has a knob that looks like you can twist it off, but just not sure. THAT is where it says "for Chrysler Service Techs only" What is the correct way to remove this "knob" or plug or whatever it is?

Old 12-18-16, 01:01 PM
N
Google "chrysler 2007 300m transmission dipstick", you'll see it. That looks very similar to the dipstick for older 5-speed Mercedes, only cheaper. It confirmed my belief about the merger of the two companies giving Chrysler some state of the art German design. On the tip of the dipstick, you see grading marks to tell the proper fluid level at certain temperature ranges because trans fluid expands fast with temperature, that's why the graded dipstick. Now the newer cars are 7-speed, 9-speed. Fluids levels are more critical.

About the cap/plug at the top of the filler tube, by your description, I think it's also the similar design of cap/plug for Mercedes, non resusable. There's a tap at the top to break off, the bottom part falls off to the ground then the cap/plug can be lifted out add trans fluid. There should be an O-ring on it. If the tap is colored black, it's the original meaning no fluid was ever replaced/filled. The replacement cap/plug comes with a locking tab colored red.

Some people actually reused the non-reusable cap/plug on their Mercedes by using duct tape to tape over the cap/plug onto the filler tube after plugging it back in to hold it in place. LOL. It does not look pretty but who cares if it's under the hood.

The pan may the drain plug to remove with a Torx bit if Chrysler got it all from MB.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: