Reverse back-up warning beeper

Old 12-29-16, 06:56 PM
Reverse back-up warning beeper

I'm thinking of adding a backup warning proximity sensor to both my vehicles. I don't want to do a hard wire. I see that there are wireless systems out there. Three types. Stick on to the bumper or mount to license plate or drill through the bumper. I'm not about to drill through the bumper. So that leaves me with the stick on or license plate mount type with two sensors vs 4 sensors for the drill through type.

Has anybody tried these units? Opinions?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-16, 07:36 PM
Group Moderator
Do you mean the backup radar systems that alert you in the cab ?
The aftermarket ones are a pain in the *SS to calibrate.

Old 12-30-16, 04:24 AM
Yea, those are the ones. How so? According to the many reviews, the biggest problem seems to be that they must be wired to the back-up lights. People don't seem to understand the term wireless between transmitter and receiver vs wiring to provide power.

I figure for about $10 to $15 it might be worth a shot.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...+Sensor+System

Old 12-30-16, 03:25 PM
I'm old school, I always take a look at what is behind my car before I get in.

Its a low cost, low technology that has yet to fail me!

Old 12-30-16, 03:53 PM
Very true. But today's car shapes are deceiving and sometimes distances are hard to judge. I usually have more room than I realize.

Old 12-30-16, 05:24 PM
Group Moderator
Not the best reviews on that unit. IMO I would look into a backup camera. They also come in wireless and work quite well. I have one on my work bucket truck me I find it very handy.

Old 12-30-16, 06:27 PM
I have a cam on the van. But hardly ever use it. I find it disorienting and prefer not to use it. But that is one of the older small screen models from about 10 years ago. Today's built-in units are very good.

The place I really want it is on my Ford Focus hatchback. You might say, hey that's a small car and should be easy to maneuver. It is, but it's tough to see the back end of the car while parking or backing into a confined area. I always think I don't have enough room when in actuality I have a least 3 feet more I could utilize. So that beep that I might get from the alarm would make life a bit easier. Besides, it's cheap compared to a camera.

On my van I can get within inches of any object as I backup and be fully aware of it.

My question is the reliability of it. True the reviews of that unit are not good but most of those are from people who have no clue about adjustment or power hook ups.

Old 12-31-16, 06:49 AM
Norm, you already made a decision and are simply looking for its support from others.
Buy from Amazon because it has great return policy. Buy whatever you want to, I am presuming you are adult person and can make decisions. Then simply either be happy or return it.
I am on my 6th set of LEDs for my Camry and still searching. That's how feces roll down the hill.
Why bother with our opinions. Trial and error, historically proven.

Old 12-31-16, 10:39 AM
LOL
.you are correct. But I have not made the decision yet. I was hoping someone would say they in fact used them and provide first hand info.

Old 01-03-17, 06:54 PM
OK, Tonight I managed to bump into the car behind me while backing out of a spot (no damage, just a minor bump). Thought I had lots of room. The small car does not give me a clear view of where the back end ends. So I';m going to buy the cheap set and see how it works. I'll report results in a few weeks.

BTW...ukrbyk, this made my decision!

Old 01-03-17, 09:12 PM
Group Moderator
I was hoping someone would say they in fact used them and provide first hand info.
I installed them and got to hear the customers wraith.

The wiring was easy. The angle they were mounted on had a major effect on the range and operation.

Old 02-20-17, 02:45 PM
Today I finally installed the warning backup system. The cheap 2 sensor model from PEAK. Happy to report it works like a charm. I'm currently using the power plug to power the receiver, but will look for a permanently wired spot when I can determine which fuse to tap off.

Way too much trim to remove. But managed to remove and get it all back together without breaking any clips or losing any clips.