Replacing Battery and Memory Keeper

Old 01-05-17, 09:35 AM
Replacing Battery and Memory Keeper

Hi, I own a 2010 Suburu Outback 2.5L (PZEV- Partially Zero Emission Vehicule).

My apology in advance if this question was asked and answered, but I didn't find it per my searches.

I want to replace the original 6 yo battery after 110K. I'm now getting a 10.25 volts reading (cold) and it still started this morning even in the cooler weather. I cannot leave anything on (by mistake) as up to now I got caught twice and needing a jump start.

I'm worried that when I replace the battery, that I may have problems with various things that needs resetting and/or that the car won't start anymore....

I did find a PDF file for "Actions to take after removing battery or disconnecting ground terminal" it was for a 2015. Also to mention that my Owner's Manual does mentioned anything about a Battery Replacement.

Q1: Not sure the PDF applies to my car, but as I mentioned before is there anything else that can happen for the car not to start anymore ??

Q2: I was thinking of buying a Memory Keeper that you insert the 12V Cigarette Lighter outlet but the 12V outlet requires the Ignition Switch to be in either the "ACC" or "ON" position.

As I still have an above 12 Volt charge in the battery can I remove/disconnect the car battery while the Ignition Switch is on "ACC" or "ON" ??
Isn't it dangerous ??

Any help would be greatly appreciate, thank you...

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-17, 11:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
What I would do is to keep the ignition off. Then attach a trickle charger to the battery terminals. Position them so you can remove the terminals from the bad battery. Replace the battery and the terminals. After the terminals are tightened, remove the trickle charger. You should retain full memory.

Old 01-05-17, 11:46 AM
Group Moderator
Dead batteries and having to replace a battery are relatively common in cars. So, going without a battery or power does not hurt them. You can just remove the old battery and install a new one. If you don't like the possibility that you may have to re-enter your radio presets then using a battery charger to keep the cars electrical system powered when you remove the battery works well. I don't clip my charger cables to the battery cables though. Many modern cars have jump start lugs under the hood or I hook to another + point on the electrical system.

Old 01-05-17, 12:02 PM
Memory Keeper abd Battery Replacement

Hi,

I want to replace my original car battery.

In order to lose any settings I want to use the "Memory Keeper", a quizmo that will retain the settings with a 9 volt charge/battery. The reason I'm going this route is because I've heard sad stories about the car not starting after the battery replacement, especially some OBD settings.

The "Memory Keeper" with a 9 volt battery is plugged into the 12V Cigarette Lighter outlet to work, but for my car the 12V outlet requires the Ignition Switch to be in either in the "ACC" or "ON" position.

I still have a 12.25 Volt charge in the current battery that I want to remove and since I have to put the Ignition Switch to "ACC" or "ON" for the memory keeper to work, can this be dangerous ?? i.e. disconnecting the battery.

Any help would be greatly appreciate, thank you...

Old 01-05-17, 12:08 PM
Owning two hybrid vehicles, I DO attach a small 12V battery with jumper cables to 12V battery when cables need to be removed. I normally have several of 12V small batteries laying around.
It's a small precaution that may prevent major headache.

Old 01-05-17, 12:28 PM
Group Moderator
Thread moved to Car Repair Forum.

Old 01-05-17, 01:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Turn the key on, Disconnect the negative cable first, When installing battery connect negative last. This will prevent any arcs from battery to ground. Should not cause any harm. Do not connect battery backward as this will harm things.

Old 01-05-17, 03:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have merged the two threads for continuity.

Old 01-05-17, 07:08 PM
Many thanks all, I really appreciate the info as I will feel more comfortable doing the battery replacement.

I do have an old Battery Charger, so I am tempted to try "Pilot Dane"s process and I was hoping you could help me in making sure I understand the steps required for the job.

I verified the Voltage on the Battery Charger with my multi-meter and I get a little over 7 volts when set on the 6V setting and for the 12V setting I get a little under 12V. See pic of charger at the end of this reply.

Since I'm not sure that I have other jump start lugs under the hood so instead I was planning on clipping the Position cable from the charger to the bolt/nut (see pic of battery below) look for yellow arrow to the right side of the pic. That bolt/nut is at the end of the positive cable just before it connects to the post, I'm guessing this is some type of lug (??). Therefore would it be "okay" to clip it there ?

For the Negative Charger cable clipping, as it does not look like there is a lug I was going to remove the black tape (see pic, yellow arrow on the left of pic) and hopefully clip it there on the Negative cable, being just before the connection to the terminal.

I would then remove the bolt/nut from the battery (Negative post) and the bolt/nut from the positive post, in order to free the 2 cables. See pic, the 2 green arrows.

Would this work ? Thanks...

I cannot upload the pics successfully... I will logout and come back in and retry....

Old 01-05-17, 07:23 PM
Sorry the process of uploading is not working for me.... I will retry in a few hours...
My "jpg" files are small 107kb AND 128kb, it should work.

Old 01-06-17, 02:57 AM
Try this when uploading pictures................http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 01-06-17, 06:27 AM
Thanks Chandler but I am familiar with the process and use it successfully in the past.

On my original computer I have Internet Explorer 11 being the latest version and I get the new installs and updates automatically. And I try to keep my computer clean i.e. IE temporary files, etc… that can sometimes be the culprits…

When I click the “Upload” button it does nothing, even if I waited a long time and I do not get any messages at all (Errors, Warnings, etc…) It just sits there doing nothing.

I tried on my wife’s laptop, she has Google Chrome, it worked right away with the same files. So it is related to either the latest IE (v11) or something installed or different about my computer. But as mentioned before, I’ve done this before on my computer, it’s been a while but it did work.

Ok I will post with pictures, soon… from my wife’s laptop…. Thank you…

Old 01-06-17, 06:31 AM
Now with pictures, using Google Chrome.

Many thanks all, I really appreciate the info as I will feel more comfortable doing the battery replacement.

I do have an old Battery Charger, so I am tempted to try "Pilot Dane"s process and I was hoping you could help me in making sure I understand the steps required for the job.

I verified the Voltage on the Battery Charger with my multi-meter and I get a little over 7 volts when set on the 6V setting and for the 12V setting I get a little under 12V. See pic of charger at the end of this reply.

Since I'm not sure that I have other jump start lugs under the hood so instead I was planning on clipping the Position cable from the charger to the bolt/nut (see pic of battery below) look for yellow arrow to the right side of the pic. That bolt/nut is at the end of the positive cable just before it connects to the post, I'm guessing this is some type of lug (??). Therefore would it be "okay" to clip it there ?

For the Negative Charger cable clipping, as it does not look like there is a lug I was going to remove the black tape (see pic, yellow arrow on the left of pic) and hopefully clip it there on the Negative cable, being just before the connection to the terminal.

I would then remove the bolt/nut from the battery (Negative post) and the bolt/nut from the positive post, in order to free the 2 cables. See pic, the 2 green arrows.

Would this work ? Thanks...

Name:  Car02.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  35.1 KB

Name:  Car01a.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  45.8 KB

Old 01-06-17, 10:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
No lug under tape, may be some extra wire you could connect to but just connect the negative to any ground. Looks like a A/C compressor i n picture it would work. The positive could be hooked to the lug. Why are you doing it just go to Auto Zone and they will install sell and install or any repair store. Make sure to ask them to use memory saver.

Old 01-06-17, 12:08 PM
Good grief, just change the battery and reset the clock and radio. The on board computer will relearn your driving habits in no time. I am not aware of any car not starting after a battery change, but could be wrong, but.....

Old 01-06-17, 06:14 PM
Group Moderator
If your vehicle has a positive lug for jump starting you are set. That lug is connected to the positive side of the battery and can be used to keep the car powered up when you disconnect the battery.

To save cost and weight most vehicles use the metal frame/body of the vehicle as the ground conductor. The ground lug of the battery is connected to the metal frame of the vehicle. Then things in the car are just bolted to the body to complete the circuit with only a positive wire run to them. So, when hooking up your temporary power supply almost anything bare metal in the vehicle will work for the negative/black connection. Painted surfaces are not good conductors so for your negative connection look for bare metal. Almost any bare metal bracket, component, bolt or part like is going to be negative/ground. You can also use the negative lug/wire connection to a major component but bare metal is usually easier to find.

Old 01-06-17, 07:22 PM
Many Thanks for the update. I went and take a picture and I believe I have found the ground lug (bolt) of the battery. I followed that black cable and it seems to be going to the Negative Post on the battery, there is, I believe, another black cable but as there is wrapping around them I cannot say for sure. Please see pic at bottom, yellow arrow on the right, bolted to metal panel (painted).The green arrow (on left side) is pointing to the nearby Positive battery post as a reference.

With my multi-meter I took a Voltage reading of the battery using the Negative and Positive posts
and then took another reading keeping the multi-meter lead on the positive post and putting the negative lead on the lug/bolt showed in the pic (yellow arrow), and I got the same exact reading, therefore I'm assuming that I can use this setup to clip my 2 charger battery cables ? Can you please confirm.

If the above is a go, here is the order I was planning on doing this:

1. Clipping/connecting my 2 charger battery cables as per above setup.
2. Disconnect Negative cable from battery
3. Disconnect Positive cable from battery
Here can I check inside the car if still having power ?
i.e. opening driver's door will triger the interior lights
or should I refrain from doing so ??
4. Remove old battery and put in new battery
5. Reconnect Positive cable to new battery
6. Reconnect Negative cable to new battery
7. Unclip the 2 battery charger cables
8. Here the first thing I would check, before starting the car, is that the clock time has not changed.
9. Start the car and hope all is okay :O)

Can you please confirm the above process ? Greatly appreciated...

Name:  Car03.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  47.2 KB

Old 01-07-17, 04:10 AM
1a. Turn battery charger "on". 6a. Turn battery charger "off". The wire you point to is a sheet metal ground. Find a substantial clipping point on the engine or body so it won't slip off. That nut is iffy.

Old 01-07-17, 09:16 AM
Yes, agreed for adding 1a and 6a in the process, my omission and thanks for flagging.

In regards to finding a substantial clipping point for the NEG Battery Charger Cable here are two
points, pls see pics below, at bottom of thread.

Pic A:

This part is beside the Alternator, it has an hole in it, almost quarter size. About 18 inches from
the battery. Front of the car on the left in pic.

I had the same voltage reading with a Multi-meter, i.e. the reading from the battery POS/NEG matches the reading of Battery POS and black lead to metal around the hole.

I think this hole is a good location to clip the NEG charger clip (??).

Pic B and C: 2 pisc showing the same location but a different angle.

This part has a black cable (assuming a ground ??) that seems to be going to the NEG battery post. The cables are wrapped and difficult to say.

It has a bolt and bracket. This part (location) is closer to the firewall, sort of in between the
firewall and engine block (??). This nut seems to hold a small cylindrical part i.e. 4 inches long,
2 inches in diameter, approx.

I had the same voltage reading with a Multi-meter, i.e. the reading from the battery POS/NEG matches the reading of Battery POS and black lead to Bracket/Bolt.

++

For clipping the NEG charger clip, it'd rather use the location in Pic "A", it is closer, easier,
more visible.

Please advice. Thanks.

Updated order: with 1a and 6a.

1. Clipping/connecting my 2 charger battery cables as per above setup.
1a. Turn battery charger "on".
2. Disconnect Negative cable from battery
3. Disconnect Positive cable from battery
Here can I check inside the car if still having power ?
i.e. opening driver's door will triger the interior lights
or should I refrain from doing so ??
4. Remove old battery and put in new battery
5. Reconnect Positive cable to new battery
6. Reconnect Negative cable to new battery
6a. Turn battery charger "off"
7. Unclip the 2 battery charger cables
8. Here the first thing I would check, before starting the car, is that the clock time has not changed.
9. Start the car and hope all is okay :O)

Name:  Car04a.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  47.2 KB

Name:  Car05a.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  29.9 KB

Name:  Car06a.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  22.3 KB

Old 01-07-17, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator
There are waaay too many posts on this.
There is no problem in disconnecting both battery leads to replace battery.
You remove a battery cable to perform many vehicle repairs which would include repairs where there is a risk of air bag deployment.

Service stations do this all the time and the only downside is to reprogram the radio.
The operational settings that may be lost will be re-learned in a very few miles.

Old 01-07-17, 12:22 PM
There are waaay too many posts on this.
There is no problem in disconnecting both battery leads to replace battery.
You remove a battery cable to perform many vehicle repairs which would include repairs where there is a risk of air bag deployment.

Service stations do this all the time and the only downside is to reprogram the radio.
The operational settings that may be lost will be re-learned in a very few miles.
I could not agree more.....................................................

Old 01-07-17, 09:32 PM
You are telling me to go ahead and disconnect the battery without the use of a battery charger and that I will have to reprogram the radio, well I have found more info indicating that there is more than that happening when the battery gets disconnected and even some car owners had various problems afterwards, going that route.

Other than the radio and time, the driver’s automatic window requires re-programming, there is a computer boot up, drive cycle and more. It appears that it might take a day or two for the cycle to be completed depending on the driving. I did find on-line a document, that I cannot locate anymore, there were at least 12 to 15 items being reset when disconnecting/reconnecting a battery.

When I bought my new battery, I managed to speak briefly to a car Tech and there are cars that are known to have potential problems when the battery is disconnected (BMW and Hondas). Of course a car shop will have the gadgets to hold a charge, i.e. OBD tools and Memory Keepers. I'm not going to buy the OBD tools and I cannot use the Memory Keeper on my car. The use of a battery charger was introduced by a “Moderator” in an earlier thread, which I thought was a great idea and big plus, I own one. It seems easy to do BUT I want to make sure I do not damage anything (electricity-computers,etc), so I want to make I’m clipping to the right spots (last thread).

Why are you saying there is too many posts (threads) on this. I'm asking questions because I want to make sure I'm doing the right process and especially to understand the job before proceeding with it. Why would there be a max of threads if I'm not yet comfortable in doing the process, I do want to keep asking questions until I understand. What is wrong with that!

You may have the knowledge but I don't and I do want to learn and I thought this website was about helping people who wants to do things on their own (DIY). If I knew it, I would not be here asking questions, isn't what this website about! Helping each other! What I have done wrong!

This process involves DC-electricity and who knows what can happen wrong and damage expensive sensors, computer chips and more... the reason I want to make sure I will be doing this right. I have taken a Basic AC-Electricity course and I know for sure that electricity is not to be fooled with.

Everybody has their ways of doing things and I respect that and I, also want to be respected. I appreciate all the various options given to me but I want to choose what is best for me based on the knowledge and facts that I know. Based on my current knowledge, there is a risk that I don’t do the job right, which could end with an expensive bill or even hurt myself, the reason why I need the help (experience) of others.

DIY's jobs have been part of my life a lot since we have been with only one income and this website has helped me in the past but today I have to say that I am deceived with this roadblock.

Old 01-08-17, 03:57 AM
There's no need to be upset at the advice given. Batteries are removed and replaced on a daily basis without the need for external power during the change out. I own a Honda and have never had to reset anything but the radio/clock, which is a minor inconvenience. I have never heard of having to reset a driver's window due to a battery exchange. I would like you to substantiate that for us so we can increase our KB.

At present we have 22 posts regarding a simple battery change out. Advice was given to do as you wanted with the battery charger, and advice was given to just change the battery and deal with resetting the radio. Both sets of advice are spot on. It is up to you to choose the method, as we cannot do that for you.

To be honest in two days worth of posts, I would have had the battery changed, radio reset and would have moved on to other things.\

So bottom line. Hook up your charger, and change the battery. Remove the battery and reset the clock. Door #1 or door #2. Let us know how it goes.

Old 01-08-17, 04:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just had the battery changed a couple of weeks ago. I had told them to use memory saver and they did not do it. (Been mechanic for 35 years and hate to work on cars any more) Most Car nothing will happen except loss of radio stations and bluetooth settings. Some cars have radios that need a code it reset if battery is removed without memory saver. Do what everybody has told you. connect to any ground that is easy to get to. Disconnect negative cable first.