Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

ABS sensitivity adjustment?

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

01-10-17, 03:01 PM   #1 (permalink)  
ABS sensitivity adjustment?

2000 Chevy Express

Is there a way to adjust the anti lock braking sensitivity? If there is snow on the ground, my anti lock brakes won't let me stop. The pedal pulsates causing the vehicle to slide through a stop sign.

I'm ready to remove the relay or fuse. However, I wanted to ask if there is a sensitivity adjustment before I remove the relay or fuse.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

01-10-17, 03:06 PM   #2 (permalink)  
It sounds like they are doing what they should. If you are on ice or slippery snow no change in ABS is going to make much difference. ABS just helps keep you pointing forward.

MI

01-10-17, 04:40 PM   #3 (permalink)  
There is no adjustability in the ABS.

However, if you van is lightly loaded that may be making it sensitive to wheel lock up so some weight in the back will help.

WA

01-10-17, 04:41 PM   #4 (permalink)  
OP, ABS is doing its job. There is reason it will not allow you to LOCK the wheels. Instead of adjusting ABS or disabling it, you simply need to adjust your braking distance and plan ahead.
DO NOT disable ABS. Please.

Super Moderator

AZ

01-10-17, 06:29 PM   #5 (permalink)  
However, if you van is lightly loaded that may be making it sensitive to wheel lock up so some weight in the back will help.
Exactly the issue I had with a Dodge Dakota with rear ABS only. Unloaded, even a relatively hard stop (not panic or in snow) would have the rear end jumping up and down. Chirp, chirp, chirp!

Your van is probably 4 wheel ABS, and though it may feel odd, ABS helps with braking in slippery conditions (assuming appropriate tires, slicks will slide no matter what).

As ukrbyk said, anticipate and adjust your braking distance. No matter what, if there's black ice in the stopping area, you'll probably slide right through unless you've given yourself the extra room.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

01-11-17, 06:56 AM   #6 (permalink)  
The weight thing makes the most sense so far. I have 4 or 5 five gallon buckets loaded with tools along with other things.

As far as my braking distance goes, I couldn't have gone any more slowly or braked any earlier than I did yesterday. The only way I can brake sooner is if I don't step on the gas in the first place.

02-09-17, 02:28 PM   #7 (permalink)  
It's snowing again & it's time to disable ABS. I see 2 fuses, inside the van. One is marked brake & one is marked stop. Is stop the stop lights & brake the ABS? I didn't look under the hood yet at the cube relays.

2000 Chevy Express 1/2 ton 1500

Group Moderator

NJ

02-09-17, 02:59 PM   #8 (permalink)  
Underdash fuse box..............
1. STOP - CHMSL(3rd brake light), Stoplamps
18. BRAKE - 4WAL PCM, ABS, Cruise Control

Underhood fuse box.......

Name:  abs.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  52.3 KB

Not supplying any comments. Just supplying what you asked for.
My guess would be #18 only.

~ Pete ~

02-10-17, 05:29 PM   #9 (permalink)  
Thanks PJ. I removed the fuse marked Brake & all was well.

Search this Thread