Toyota corolla battery light intermittently goes on...

Old 01-22-17, 04:00 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toyota corolla battery light intermittently goes on...

Hi folks;
I have a 1994 Toyota Corolla base 1.6L. with 112000 miles that has a battery light that goes on intermittently. At first first it was random. Now it appears quite often.
Here is the background:
August; had same problem .Changed alternator and it ceased.
two weeks ago changed battery due to battery registering "Fair"
-Electrolyte was low, so refilled, (appeared to have splashed over battery and compartment, charged with battery charger and drove for fifty miles. Seemed fine. But as a precaution I replaced battery as the original was well past it's rated lifespan.
Recently the light has come back on but now more frequently to almost steady.
Voltage checked; Battery car off; 12V
car on (no load) 11.5
car on (load ON, heater, radio, lights,) fluctuates from as low 6v to 8.5v and never getting to 12v
This always seems to occur when car has reached operating temps. When car is cold NP!.
When light is ON and throttle is advanced to high revs the light WILL go out!
Of course light NEVER comes on when at shop and volts appear normal.
Is it possible that a diaode is bad or the internal regulator is bad in the alt?
Found a bad taillight lead in the trunk that is intermittent and awaiting the harness now.
Any hints, tips, steerage, guidance appreciated. Hate to buy a new car now and, since it is my late fathers car, would like to keep it running for awhile longer.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-17, 10:40 AM
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Yes, all those complicated ideas are possible. But what is much more possible is simply stretched alternator belt, or serpentine, whatever your vehicle has. At that mileage it's due new anyway.
Ah, of course, you keep battery terminals nice clean and lubricated?

Old 01-23-17, 11:45 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ukrbyk...

Thanks for the reply. The belts area brand new and properly tensioned The battery is only one week old and, before I installed it, the terminal connection wires (inside and out) were polished to a gleam. New felt isolation pads were put on and the whole thing covered with grease included with the pads.
After being stranded over the weekend, of course miles from home, with the on-going problem which required taking three trains to get home, and back, to retrieve the blasted thing, I finally remembered I owned two engine analyzers and was able to finally locate them. I hooked them up, ran the tests, and both said bad alt under load.!
Took the car back to the shop, which installed the alt, and cordially explained what happened. To my surprise it was NP, as it was under warranty and only 5 months old, it was immediately replaced at no charge.
So now I will wait and see and keep fingers crossed.

Old 01-23-17, 04:04 PM
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Join the club. I had THREE alternators bad outta da box in one night. Three. Then again, it was from a pos Al's Auto Supply that is by now long gone out of business.
Glad it resolved, though at such an expense. Moral and monetary.
Kudos on great car upkeep. Exemplary.