Cabin wind noise in Subaru Forester

Old 02-05-17, 09:29 AM
Cabin wind noise in Subaru Forester

I have a 2003 subaru forester and I get a lot of wind noise inside the cabin at highway speed. Will replacing the rubber door gaskets help with this issue?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-17, 09:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
One of my former helpers drove (aimed) a Subaru, and he had cabin wind noise. It turned out to be his passenger window was out of adjustment in relation to the seating on the seal. May be something to check out.

Old 02-05-17, 10:03 AM
Wind noise can be really hard to track down.

Sometimes having a passenger pull on the inside door handles while at speed can help identify if a door seal is the problem, as putting a little more pressure on a seal may change the noise. And pushing out on the windows is similar idea for window seals, per Larry's suggestion above. (if that doesn't work, have someone pull on the outside door handles while at speed )

Putting some masking tape over door and window seal areas can also give a clue. You can also put tape over things like roof rain gutters, edges of trim, anything that may make wind noise. If you use masking tape, use the kind (often blue) that doesn't leave residue.

Old 02-05-17, 10:13 AM
Group Moderator
Has it always been this way? I have a buddy with multiple Subarus in the family and he says you can tell the Forester has the least sound insulation in it.

Old 02-05-17, 10:25 AM
The wind noise has always been there but has gotten worse over time. The driver door and passenger rear door seals are stretched out of shape and slipping off the plastic pieces they hook onto. I am always having to reattach them. However I am also reading where the window gussets might the the cause.

Old 02-05-17, 11:03 AM
The driver door and passenger rear door seals are stretched out of shape and slipping off the plastic pieces they hook onto. I am always having to reattach them

That sort of answers your Q.
This is what you can do. Turn AC and blower to Max cold. It normally somehow puts blower into max rpms.
Shut doors close. Let it all run for a minute or so then start spraying soapy water along door edge. Where you start seeing bubbles, that's where you have air leaks.